iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

That's some mighty fine looking flooring!  

Sometimes the hassle is worse than the expense. Glad that the cheaper knives worked. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

LeeB

Those disposable knives can be honed once or twice. Use a fine grit diamond sharpening stone. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishfighter

I wonder if there is a place that could resharpen  the knives. Got around 10 sets just sitting around. :-\

Got more flooring down. At about the half way mark. I did move the island. Wasn't easy, but got it out the way. Will try to get more down tomorrow.

LeeB

You can't do much more than give them a honing., there just isn't enough too them. Take off much and they won't have enough left to reach the wood. I always just made a couple strokes down the back and a few light strokes on the edge just to refresh the edge without taking too much off. Once or twice is about all I ever got out off that. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishfighter

Guess I will give that a try on a rainy day. Sharpening knifes to me is one of those things I just don't care to do. That goes for kitchen knifes too! ;D

LeeB

I cut a slot in a board on the table saw just slightly less than the width of the blade. Can't remember the angle. Used a thin kerf blade. Used that to hold the planer blade while sharpening it. If I remember correctly I used about a 600 grit diamond sharpening stone and just a couple passes down the edge and flattened the back a little. I've still got several of them but gave the planer to my SIL. The blades make good scrapers once you can't hone them again.

fishfighter

Thanks for the tip. Just might do that.

More flooring done. One can see the kitchen island. Was a job just getting it up. :o

Have less then 25% left to do. ;D

Now for bad news. Finished up in the back, came up to the house. Grab me a beer and sat down outside on the patio. Popped my top, and all hell broke loose. :o Dam CRT-D(pacemaker) started vibrating. :o Scared the heck out of me. :o Well, I knew this was coming. Just two weeks ago I had a reading on it. Was told I had two months left. Not. >:( Called in and now I will have to have a replacement done in less then two weeks. :o Bad thing, this will shut me down for about 3 months or more. >:(

Magicman

Paul, If I am reading you correctly, it means that you will be (not out but) back in commission in about 3 months.  My prayers are with you my Friend.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Lynn, was told it will take 3+ months to heal. Big reason, I'm so dang skinny. Really. :D The one I have now sticks out a good inch, just under the skin. When it was put in, I was close to 200lbs. This morning, 161 lbs. :( Not good at 6' tall. :o

Magicman

I understood Paul, but I am being "half full" with your situation.  Sounds like you need more Gumbo.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I must agree with Lynn on this one. Only a minor slowdown. You're much to tenacious for it to be anything else. 

fishfighter

Wind and rain the last few days, I just lay around the house. Today, with a lite frost to start with, I had it on my mind to finish the flooring. And I did, putting a full days work in. Felt good, but paying for it. ;D

Magicman

Careful Paul, but I know that it is tough just sitting when you know what must be done.  Of course the "doing" is also good mental therapy.  That entire Guest House is going to be a thing of pride as well as beauty.

fishfighter

Lynn, building this house has been very good therapy for me. Heck, in fact it has helped my heart getting a little better. My EF was down below 15%. Last check, I am up to 20%. Not often a heart repairs itself. Big reason the doctors keep telling me what ever I am doing, keep doing it. 8)

Darrel

Paul, even though we have never met and quite likely never will, it somehow feels like you are a friend. This thread has been very inspiring to me. Watching the build has been great, but way beyond the building of the guest house has been the story of the man. Watching you persevere through all adversities has truly brought courage to my heart. 

Thanks
1992 LT40HD

SwampDonkey

Magicman is always a good spokesman, but some of them thread views is mine to. I am a quite man in real life. I like to listen more than talk regardless of the post count. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishfighter

Why thank you Darrel. Maybe one day, I just might pick up and start traveling. Never been up in your part of the world. Would love to make a trip to the Northwest.

On a side note. Installing that floor. I used right at 1972 nails. How I know? Had two boxes with 1k in each box. ;D

Installing the floors, you can see in some of the pictures that there are some blue lines. Those are flooring ratchet straps. Big help pulling everything together. My brother that gave me the flooring also gave me those straps. Yesterday, he would of been 65. Today, my oldest brother that passed away also would of been 66. God rest their souls. :'(

Magicman

Which makes that "memorial" flooring even more special. 

fishfighter

Now if only I can get this doctors appointment done early today, then me a JB will have a date cooking a gumbo. ;D

Merry Christmas all. May the Good Lord smile on y'all and your families.

Oh, lets not forget that our loving Saints are rapping up things for the Superbowl. 8)

Magicman

I have already chopped the onions and celery and Pat has sauteed them for our Christmas Gumbo.  The Roux is next.  Lotsa prep going on for our get together tomorrow evening.

Magicman

How is your pot of Gumbo coming along Paul?  I think that it is best after it "rests" overnight but if I had some rice I would try this tonight.  food6

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2018, 04:07:25 PM

How is your pot of Gumbo coming along Paul?  I think that it is best after it "rests" overnight but if I had some rice I would try this tonight.  food6

Lynn, had to for go making a gumbo. Spent way to much time at the doctors. :( Going to have the replacement Friday morning.

Back to gumbo. I always have my vegs ready. Make my roux and when it's finished, hot, I drop my vegs in. I always use a cast iron big pot that was pasted down to me from one of my grandmaws. Very heavy, thick pot that I NEVER let the wife to cook with. ;D Once the vegs are cooked, I add some water. Bring to boil and cut back to a very low fire. Let it sit. The oils will come to the top. I skim it off and then I go from there. So, fried frog legs is on with some other goodies. We will be heading over to a BIL's house tonight for a little get together and go to a nieces house tomorrow for another get together, dinner.

Magicman

Paul, my Prayers for a successful procedure will be with you Friday as you get your replacement.  Then for Healing Grace as you go through your recovery period.

Please keep us updated as often as you can.  God Speed.

Darrel

One of these days I'll have to head to the South to get away from the snow and more importantly, see what gumbo tastes like. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you Paul and will be even more come Friday. 
1992 LT40HD

LeeB

Best wishes to you Paul on a successful surgery and recovery. 

Thank You Sponsors!