iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stack and strip rack or technique

Started by flip, July 26, 2006, 02:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

A few weeks ago we were driving by a wood factory behind my work and happened across the building where the incomming boards are cut to length and stripped and stacked, talk about amazing :o  One guy stood behind a table and put strips in strategically placed channels, when he had them all in place he hit a switch and the next layer of boards was slid on top and the stack was lowered.  We talked to him while he was working because we noticed all the drying stacks had a strip out near the end, eight inches in from that was a nother stick and then 2 feet after that until he got to the other end where the process was the same on the other end.  All of the stacks and sticks were PERFECTLY alligned in every stack.  Have any of you made a jig to stack like this or do you just throw them on like I do now?  I'm really considering building a jig since it is soooooo much nicer looking and is most likely better for keeping the wood straight.  I think consistancy in stacking should be important.  Thoughts? ???
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Onthesauk

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

VA-Sawyer

100 boards to a stack please !   " It's such a nice number" Mr. Monk

CALSAW

The USDA has a 66 page report available as pdf titled AIR DRYING OF LUMBER.
Lots of information on stickering and stacking, pictures of jigs and autostackers.
I don't have the link, try google.
Report is FPL-GTR-117
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

Tom

Calsaw,
Thanks!

The USDA has a lot of free information in brochures and papers.  Many come from the Forest Products Lab and many from  other educational sources, even individuals.  Our Federal Government can be a great resource.

Here is the PDF link to air-drying
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr117.pdf

Thank You Sponsors!