iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodworking with old hand tools.

Started by Dave Shepard, February 06, 2007, 08:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Woodcraft has some very reasonably priced woodthreading kits that I've had my eye on.  Not cheap, but easier to swallow than a $200 bench vise.  Here's a link to their website: Woodcraft's woodthreading kits.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

I was doing some blacksmithing at Hancock Shaker Village today so I went upstairs to the cabinet shop and snap a few pictures of their big workbench. I'd make one of these but it is almost as big as my garage. I also got a picture of one of the tool cabinets. I am thinking of building something similar to this cabinet.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Patty

WOW what an awesome shop!

Morton called last week to say ours will be put up in 4 weeks.  8)  Then the real work begins.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Dave Shepard

That building is called the Tan House, where the Shakers used to tan leather. When they went out of the tanning business they converted the main floor into a cabinet shop, complete with water powered table saws. ;) Down stairs they filled in the tanning vats and put in two giant cider presses and a blacksmith shop, that is where I work. Did you know the circular saw blade was supposedly invented there by a woman using her spinning wheel?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

I was rummaging around in the Forestry Forum Attic and found this old thread. I've gained a lot of experience, books and tools, but no bench. :D I've recently purchased the last of the tools I'll need to try dovetailing, but from my other woodworking endeavors, I've realized it isn't going to be much fun without a proper bench. I have the workbench books from Landis and Schwarz. That blue bench above is the one in the Landis book. I've decided I want something similar to what Klausz built.

SwampDonkey

I've got no room for something like that. I do have lots of counter space, but most work ends up on the table saw or a 4'x6' plywood table. Any chiseling on the table saw of course, solid iron behind a chisel hammer. ;D

I did send in another order for table braces and ended up getting a couple cans of tool and bearing lubricants. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terrifictimbersllc

Not hand tools only, but might as well be, and if James Krenov is for you, this book is unforgettable.  http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Art-Cabinetmaking-James-Krenov/dp/0806985720
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!