iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restoration

Started by brettl, April 16, 2014, 01:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

I traded for 3 nice Stihls that have prices written in permanent marker on the filter housing. I'm a firm believer in function over form but this unsightly ink is obviously disrupting air flow, fouling plugs, and dulling chains. :o
It also makes 3 really nice saws look like pawnshop junk.

I've used acetone before but it can leave a "fog" on plastic. Even though these are working saws, I'd like them to look as unblemished as possible. Have some of you restorers found certain polishes to work better than others on these plastics? I'd like to hear from those who know before trial and error. Thanks everyone.

Chop Shop

I have found that solvents like brakeclean and carb cleaner will blur/run the plastic and paints.

Then it donned on me that gasoline is a pretty good solvent and chainsaws usually get covered in the stuff and look good still.

So the last saw I got that was ugly was a 026 with purple paint all over it.  I think it was jobsite/work co colors.   It all washed off with some gas a a little elbow grease.

It has worked great since for cleaning off gunk on my saws.

Hilltop366

I recently removed some permanent marker from painted metal using laundry stain remover, it takes a bit of rubbing after it sets for a few minutes but after a bit it was all off.

ZeroJunk

Go to the auto parts store and get some of that stuff they use to polish discolored plastic headlight lenses.

Oliver1655

John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Al_Smith

Acetone would remove it but I'm not certain what it might do to the plastic .

Coast Steve

Hi Brett,

I have used Laquer thinner in the past, but you have to be very fast with a quick wipe.
Try it on the back of the panel where you won't see it just in case it melts it a bit.

It works very well on most things to remove them.
Don't get it near a printed decal though!

If it doesn't work at times you can put a decal on top of the problem area.
You know, "NGK spark plugs"  or whatever works.

After, a wipe with a rag sprayed in WD 40 shines up the plastic and fills in the little scratches visually.
You can go ahead and spray the whole saw in it actually then wipe it down...good as new.

Steve

JohnG28

Rubbing alcohol maybe?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Chop Shop

Juts try the gas!  At 4 bucks a gallon its the cheapest cleaner/solvent you can use.  You already have some too!

Timbercruiser

permanent marker should clean off most surfaces with WD40  :D

Jiles

If gasoline or WD40 doesn't remove the permanent marker ink, the plastic has absorbed it. No way to remove it other then sanding it out and then buffing back to a "less then new" shine. I have found nothing that will return the like new shine on plastic.
Satisfy needs before desires

AdkStihl

Quote from: Jiles on April 24, 2014, 12:27:51 PM
If gasoline or WD40 doesn't remove the permanent marker ink, the plastic has absorbed it. No way to remove it other then sanding it out and then buffing back to a "less then new" shine. I have found nothing that will return the like new shine on plastic.

+1

Other option is to buy new filter covers  :-\
J.Miller Photography

ZeroJunk

Nonsense. Get some plastic polish like I said to start with. Google Novus Plastic Polish. I can make a fifty year old plastic boat windshield look like new.

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

ZeroJunk

--Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/user/ZeroJunk1953/media/00341_zpsd8dd1899.jpg.html][img width=550 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/nn259/ZeroJunk1953/00341_zpsd8dd1899.jpg[/img][/URL]

Oh well, I may figure out how to do this, but it will be next week. Going to the coast fishing now.

Thank You Sponsors!