iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Sawmill Mods

Started by Billbob, December 08, 2013, 07:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billbob

I finished putting 4 trailer jacks on the corners of the trailer frame that my Woodland HM 126 is mounted on.  They make it real easy to level the mill bed.  The two jacks on one side of the frame are on telescopic arms to act as 'outriggers' in order to prevent flip over when loading large logs.  The jacks fold up parallel to the frame when in transport.  Surprisingly the mill has very little lateral movement when the jacks are down

(sorry about the picture quality.  I was using my cell phone )

Since I had the mill in the barn I thought it best to make sure everything was moving properly.  Glad I did.  The previous owner had added a 3 foot bed extension.  Instead of using 2 1/4" angle iron for the carriage rails he used 2" and shimmed it up with washers.  The problem was that one rail extension was 1/8" higher than the factory rail.  (no idea how he was able to cut true and square!)  I reconfigured the shims and now the rail is less than 1/64 off the mark.  Now the carriage runs the full length of the bed smoothly with no noticeable 'jump' at the end of the run.   
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

bandmiller2

Billbob,those jacks will make it easier to level the mill,but I would still cut some dunnage to put under the mill.I fear it will be too springy with just the four jacks.Try it but I think you'd be better  served with more support under the frame.Probibly boath ends and in the middle would handle it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Billbob

Absolutely Frank!  I have lots of 5x5 sills that I'm going to use.  I'll put a sill under the front and rear jacks and put a tier under the middle.  I had the same thoughts as you.....that the middle of the bed will be too springy.  If I don't support the middle I could do some real damage once I load one of my tamarack logs.  Tamarack (some call it 'hackmatac') is a super heavy tree because of moisture it retains even it the winter.  My pile of sills are 10 year old tamarack and they are still dripping moisture!  Next week I'm going to be dropping some trees that are 34 inches plus at the butt.  It'll be a good haul for the tractor.
Bill S
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

bandmiller2

You know what your doing Bill. What are you planning to do about band sharpening and setting.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

AnthonyW

If you have the four trailer jacks at the corners, there is a lot of steel to bend and spring in between them. Especially with the wieghts and loads that we are dealing with. The WM LT25 I am using has one front and back, and two pairs at about 1/3 from each end. What about throwing two more trailer jacks in the middle to reduce the spring and chance of bowing?

'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Billbob

Got the mill set up yesterday.  Getting walloped with snowstorm today and tomorrow.  I went with your fellow's suggestions and supported the middle of the mill with a tier of sills.  Still have some minor adjustments to make to the mill, get the snow cleared out of the way then I'll be ready to make sawdust.  I'm going to add some more sill tiers at the very ends just for some insurance.
FrankC-I'm going to be sharpening and setting the blades by hand with a dremel tool and tooth setter.  The gent who sold me the mill showed me how to do it. 

I swamped out a hauling road through the middle of the woodlot to a good stand of large spruce/fir. I got the brush and rowe cleaned off it yesterday finishing at dark.  My Border Collie 'log dog' scared the bijibbers outta me!  My wife let him out of the house, he followed my scent into the woods.  It was dark back there (with a full moon) and something black and moving fast ran between my legs.  Heart stopped there for a minute!

Thank You Sponsors!