iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin with stroke head?

Started by Firewoodjoe, November 08, 2020, 06:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

There's a franklin 3000 with a 4 foot stroke head no to far from me. Says it works $12,000. Are they any good. Is that head going to cut more than I can by hand. 15 cord a day? 

Skeans1

It's going to depend on the head what is it rated to handle?

Firewoodjoe

I don't know. I'm guessing 16" but that's fine. I'm wondering about speed. It's got to be slow I'd think. 

Kim_Ked

The speed will depend on the operator as well as the model of head.
Do you know what it is? 
I run my stroke head a bit slower as I don't want to beat it apart.  I run normally around 1400 RPM or slightly under. Sure, it will fly if I want it push the RPMs up a bit to but it makes it bang harder the faster you run it.  I also have configurable settings so I can set how long to rest the solenoids before making the next move.  Its in hundredths of seconds. This way I can tune it to run a bit smoother. Also, since mine is measuring the stroke, I shut it off just before it gets to the full stroke extent. It might mean an extra partial stroke over the length of a log, but it makes the abuse on the head a minimal amount. 
There is a big difference to depending on the operator. My Dad will run a bit faster than myself. Just better at at. 
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

Skeans1

A stroke on a wheel buncher probably isn't the most efficient way to go about processing, what happens when you need to drop a stem to reset or go past a bad spot?

BrushSaw

Is this the Franklin on marketplace? 3 wheeled machine with stroker head in wisconsin or michigan? 

If it is I saw that one, i think i have the same head or very similar. He didnt know what brand head it was either. 
can't have anything nice...

Firewoodjoe

Yes it's in Michigan. I'm sure it's meant for single st standing trees. What do you think of the head you have? What size tree will it cut? What size limb? Hardwood? 

BrushSaw

Up to 24" tree. Ran balsam, pine and spruce thru it so far, delimbed fine. But limited run time since I bought it needing work. So it's been fix this, then this type of deal. 
Weight wise we will see how big of trees it will swing, I believe/read it was built to thin row pine. So I'm skeptical on bigger wood. But we shall see. After deer season here I'll have a better idea. Last item will be fixed this week.
can't have anything nice...

Firewoodjoe

Wow 24". I was hopping it would at least cut a decent size tree. Just use it as a buncher on hardwood. Thanks. 

Thank You Sponsors!