iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel fuel contracting

Started by Kansas, October 08, 2008, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

I noticed this morning that heating oil futures fell overnight to 2.42 a gallon. The local farmers coop has #2 offroad diesel delivered at 3.47. I realize their is a fair amount of lag time between the drop in a barrel of oil and when it is reflected at the pump. My question is... what should be the realistic price difference between heating oil futures and offroad diesel prices?

The reason I am asking is I want to either forward contract or prepay my diesel needs. I don't want to have offroad diesel delivered next summer at well over 4 dollars a gallon like i did at one point this last summer. I am just wondering that if the prices flatten out for a period of time,  what the price of diesel will eventually come down to.

Ed

IIRC, diesel is so expensive is because we export quite a bit of it to Europe. It keeps supplies tight here and prices high.

Ed

Gary_C

Diesel fuel remains almost a dollar over gasoline so I do not think this is the time to forward contract.

But then again, what do I know. I too have been buying hand to mouth all the way through the past price increases.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

logwalker

Have you considered just burning the heating oil? I always thought that they were the same product or very close. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Warbird

Quote from: logwalker on October 08, 2008, 11:18:54 AM
Have you considered just burning the heating oil? I always thought that they were the same product or very close. Joe

My understanding is that it is illegal to do so.  Something about dyes put into the fuel or something??  Also, you'd want to research this carefully if you have one of the newer rigs with all the stuff on them for 'clean burning' and all.  Probably no danger of hurting the equipment but it is better to be safe than to harm an engine.

Kansas

It is my understanding that heating oil is virtually the same as #2 diesel. We dont have any heating oil around here that I am aware of. Most towns are on natural gas, and farms use propane or natural gas, if they are lucky enough to have a pipeline going by.

Warbird

Wait, maybe you aren't supposed to burn the automotive diesel in the boiler?  I can't remember, sorry.

*edit* Just asked some of the guys here at work.  It is apparently a State law here that you can't burn heating oil in your trucks.  It's something to do with a highway tax.

Gary_C

I think that fuel oil and off road diesel fuel are now the same and both contain red dye as you can buy either without paying either federal or state taxes. For past years both off road and fuel oil were allowed to be higher sulfur content, but I think that has changed to all ULSD. However diesel fuel has a minimum cetane rating and there are usually some additives in diesel fuel. And yes, you can get in big trouble if caught with red dyed fuel in your highway vehicle.

It's anybodys guess as to the future of diesel prices, but normally prices rise at this time of year and then drop in the spring after the heating season is over. This year I suspect that diesel fuel and gasoline will drop thru the winter because of the economy and I suspect that we may actually see some $60 crude oil prices this winter as the speculators have been driven out of all commodity markets.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

stonebroke

Heating oil is still high sulfur

Stonebroke

logwalker

Quote from: logwalker on October 08, 2008, 11:18:54 AM

The reason I suggested heating oil is he was looking for off-road diesel. As far as I know it is legal to burn anything in off-road equipment. And if the price disparity is that large why wouldn't you do it?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

dewwood

Our local coop does not have enough storage tanks for all of the blends so our off road diesel and home heating oil are the same.  They come from the same bulk tank.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

StorminN

When I worked for my grandfather's small heating oil company in New England back in the late 1980's and early 1990's, the only difference between #2 on-road diesel and #2 heating oil was the red dye... when we filled up the tanker truck at the oil terminal, if we paid the road tax, they would give us a Mason jar full of red dye, and we would add it to the truck... and now we had "on-road" diesel... otherwise, there was no difference.

Nowadays, the dye situation is reversed... off-road diesel, heating oil, and #1 kerosene is dyed, and on-road #2 diesel is not... but I'd be willing to bet that all #2 fuel comes out of the same storage tank on the boat...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

OneWithWood

Around here the #2 on-road diesel is dyed a light green.  I think it is to signify ULSD.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

stonebroke

I think onroad diesel in NY  is clear. Red is offroad blue is govermnent.

Stonebroke

tyb525

We have a fuel oil furnace... for when the woodstove can't keep up (which is rare). We filled the tanks only halfway last year cause it was so expensive.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!