iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoked Meat

Started by K-Guy, December 09, 2019, 09:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Nothing but grass and hay.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sedgehammer

Hay might be. It's a no, no for grass fed at least 60 days prior to butchering. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Raider Bill

Quote from: Sedgehammer on June 05, 2020, 01:48:46 PM
Hay might be. It's a no, no for grass fed at least 60 days prior to butchering.
Didn't know that. We try to get them in solitary and grain before the deed but I have to rely on the farmer who isn't really all that motivated.
Mostly he just gets up one day and that's the day they go.

gspren

I've bought/eaten several dairy and dairy cross steers and no complaints on any but the only one we saw the bright yellow fat on was a Jersey that was grain and pasture raised. The local butcher said that's common on Jersies.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

K-Guy

This weekend I tried pork belly in the smoker.  The cherrywood didn't really give it much smoke but it turned out pretty good. 

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Texas Ranger

A 3 x4 black iron nipple with caps on the end, with a 1/4 inch drilled in one end, on the burner of a grill gets all the smoke I need.  Mesquite my favorite.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Corley5

We got a Master Built smoker a couple weeks ago.  It rocks!!  Smoked some pork chops the other night.  They were great.  Brats, polish sausage, a ham, chuck roast.  All good.  I need to make ironwood (hophornbeam) chips to try.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

gspren

Quote from: Texas Ranger on July 27, 2020, 06:24:35 PM
A 3 x4 black iron nipple with caps on the end, with a 1/4 inch drilled in one end, on the burner of a grill gets all the smoke I need.  Mesquite my favorite.
Give a short description of how you use it, such as shavings or chunks, damp or dry, etc.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Texas Ranger

I use chunks that fit, naturally, and dry or wet never made a difference, to me.  It is just my low tech method.  It is basically a flavor thing, not a smoker.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

K-Guy

We had a leftover piece of steak that didn't get cooked the other night, so I decided to smoke it.  It turned out fantastic and my son agrees. 

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Walnut Beast

Cookshack gets the job done perfect every time 

Walnut Beast

Done. Smoked with apple wood

Raider Bill

Love my Cook Shack!
Mines a older one like yours. Next size up in black.

K-Guy

I finally bought a new smoker, a 30" analog electric smoker. I like it better than the little one I had before. Nothing fancy for a first run, just apple wood smoked cheese and onion Italian sausage.

Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

barbender

My wife bought me a Pit Boss digital electric smoker for my birthday. I love it, it makes it really easy to smoke food. Set the temp, and it maintains it on it's own. You don't have to babysit it. Just talking about it, I think I better go get some pork shoulders and get some pulled pork smokin'😊
Too many irons in the fire

K-Guy

I thought about getting a digital one but there are too many reviews complaining about the controls failing even when stored and used properly. I hope that isn't your experience. Let know how it's working in a couple years if you remember, who knows I might even remember asking you.  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Old saw fixer

I use my Large Big Green Egg or my Karubecue C-60 wood fired smoker to smoke chicken and pork.  Beef has gotten too expensive for more than an occasional burger. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

doc henderson

I still use my cousins trailer style Yoder smoker.  I can use actual wood.  i am now doing the smoking, then into the oven if it is after dark.  it will go 2 to 4 hours without needing more wood.  did 4 butts for nurses week but none for us, so just did one for us and vacuum sealed for future use.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crossroads

When I was quarantined with the covid in December of 20, I built a smokehouse that is roughly 4'x6'x7'   I have the wood stove from my wall tent in there and it does well. If I'm doing a cold smoke I use a smoke tube with mesquite pellets. 
About 25# of cheese

Smoke tube in action 

15# of jalapeño beer sausage 

The back straps off my daughters buck this fall. I'll never cut the back straps into steaks again. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SwampDonkey

Neighbors make bacon and brought us some for Christmas. No sugar and no nitrates added. Tastes like bacon used to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

newoodguy78

That's a nice smoke house. What temperature do you aim for with the cheese. I've smoked cheese before with various levels of success. Some came out great some didn't come out at all. Melted right into the bottom of the smoker. 
Was using a charcoal/ wood fired smoker with offset firebox. Had a metal bucket on the ground with the fire in it and  piped into the firebox. Found out I probably needed more pipe to cool the smoke. 

jb616

@Crossroads do you season or marinate the backstraps first? 

doc henderson

we use the little muffin pans, and if it melts, it comes out muffin shaped, and the oil lets them dump out.  cannot mess it up.  smoke and cheese.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crossroads

On the cheese, I just try to keep it below 95°. With the size of the smoke house, that's typically not an issue with the smoke tube. In the summer, I smoke the cheese at night to help keep the temp low. 

The back straps were not marinated, just cleaned and cold smoked with the smoke tube and mesquite pellets for about 8 hours before wrapping and freezing. When I cook them I do a dry rub, sear it in a cast iron pan, then bake it at 325° until I get an internal temp of 140° and let it rest for about a half hour. The first time I cooked one like this, I was amazed at how tender it was and the flavor was excellent. Next year I'm going to try this with all of the steak cuts. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

barbender

K-guy, sorry I never responded to you back in November🤦‍♂️ I kind if forgot about this thread. I can see the digital control failing, especially since my smoker sits outside with a cover on it. Hopefully the digital control will be an affordable part if that is ever the case.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!