The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Half a beef  (Read 4830 times)

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: Half a beef
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »
This fall we paid $2.90#, cut and vacuum wrapped to order, for a half an Angus.  We purchase from a large producer that is big enough that he has an onsite USDA processing  plant.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 05:09:44 PM »
Half a beef? We go through some beef in this house.  I don't know if we go through 10 pounds in a week. But Jeff has a couple kids. I betcha they would relieve some of the load off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 09:50:06 PM »
I'd bet we are more like 5-10 lbs a month.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 06:39:44 AM »
Carrying Prime Beef is a loss for retail markets.  There is no money in it and high shrink exposure.
These Primals are ordered by the case.  A case of Strips or Ribeyes cost 1200.00 dollars maybe more now.  No way I can sell through that product in most markets.  If you are not a regular purchaser of these items you aren't first in line to get them when you need it.

The Restaurant Industry can do it for a couple of reasons.  One is the customer doesn't see the product before cooking.
In the retail environment, the product degrades quickly.  Eye appeal is buy appeal.

Another is the percentage of cattle that grades Prime is low.  Restaurants, specialty houses or other specialty markets easily take up that demand and availability.  
Very true!  In the grocery store, I've seen the butcher (or helper) repackaging meat, open it up turn the meat over so the brown side is down and the fresh-looking red side is up, then reseal it!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 07:17:37 AM »
Yup - and the big commodity packers pump carbon monoxide into their sealed packs to keep the meat looking un-naturally red longer.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 07:57:06 AM »
We were interested, because the beef in all the stores around here are so full of something. You try to brown ground beef and you have to cook the water out of it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 08:52:35 AM »
that is why we do it.  Our friend Dallas works with ranchers (spreads manure)  and knows the conditions in which the the beef is raised.  we make all the ground beef 90/10 so not too much fat.  when he does it, he gets 5 or 6 head.  the meat processor calls us and asks how we want it done.  In a few weeks we get a call and Dallas drops off about 5 big grain bags of frozen solid meat.  we save money and always have meat in the freezer, but it is a chunk of change and takes up a whole smaller chest freezer. 
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 08:57:24 AM »
They say it's done by grinding ice which hydrates the meat .Some say it's illegal some say not .What isn't illegal is grinding up to 30 percentage  fat .You make a nice big patty but once it is cooked it will fit on a dinner roll . Maybe that's where White Castle got it's start ?

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05:06 AM »
I like a BIG burger. Most times the burger buns are not used at my house. We buy the deli sized ones.  ;D  
We went to a church cook out. I was cooking my size burgers and looked at all the others. Mine out weighted them all.  :(  :)  I know when I would bring them to work, I would hear the comment, now that's a burger. What I start with in size, is just about what I finish with.
We was buying so called grass fed beef. I say so called grass fed, because you never know for sure. But it's packaged in a small place. We use mostly hambug, not really much steak. We buy the hamburg not frozen and than we would come home and make patties out of most of it.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 09:11:07 AM »
Not a derail just something I found out  by accident .I actually like to cook but didn't do much until my wife passed on almost 6 years ago .I found out a meat loaf is not that easy to make  .Too much grease and the danged thing falls apart if you do it in a loaf pan .
Aha a brain storm .Bake it on a broiler pan grill and the grease drips out of it .Nice firm meat loaf after all .Funny thing is my fair lady ,who I went to school with never heard of it and neither had I . :)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 09:35:40 AM »
It is true that people who die of carbon monoxide poisoning, continue to have an "good color"  since the CO binds more strongly to hemoglobin, and it remains saturated.  think of your pulse ox O2 saturation used at the ER/doctors office.  It actually reads % of saturated hemoglobin and cannot differentiate what it is saturated with.  So even the machine is fooled.  CO binds 200 times stronger than O2 to hemoglobin, so in a high CO environment, the CO sticks stronger than O2 and you die from asphyxiation.  pulse ox still reads 100%  CO is volatile and flammable, as it is gas produced by incomplete burning of fuel.  so it should not harm a person after meat is cooked.  it is present in nature, and we produce some of it in metabolism.  Car exhaust produces increased basal amounts in then environment.  so normal level in humans is up to 5% in non smokers, 5 - 10% in smokers.  50% levels are often lethal.  the antidote is high concentration O2.  so take a deep breath and eat your meat! :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 10:40:19 AM »
  the antidote is high concentration O2.  so take a deep breath and eat your meat! :)
:D

Online Mooseherder

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 10:42:55 AM »
I would invest in a small Meat Grinder instead.  Get one that has a stainless steel hopper and head.  They come with 2 plates.  One chili size and one fine grind.  There are some out there with Chinese Pot metal.  Stay away from them, they leach out IMO.  Buy Chuck Roasts or Stew Meat that is on sale at a Retailer around you.  I usually time it with a Steak sale but that isn't necessary.  Trim some steak trimmings off the edges and grind with the rest of roasts or stew.  That enhances the flavor profile. Grind once with the chili plate then a second time with the fine plate.  You will notice a big difference in taste and texture. There are Markets out there with tremendous value on their Meat Prices.  I spent 5 months in Northern Maine last Summer.  The Meat prices around the towns sale ads were unreal and quality meats.  The following week the price goes up.  Move on to the next market where the item is on sale. We don't have a grinder up there so I buy Hamburger from the market who sells the most steaks because that is where the best hamburger is. You can tell by the amount of steaks on display.  It is usually called Market Trim or In-Store Market Ground.  The rest of the grinds in the case are usually pre-pack or processed from 10 pound tube grinds that come into the store pre-ground with a chili plate at the processor.  Garbage in my book with no flavor.  When I do grind it is for the day I am going to use it and 2 packages get frozen for 2 other meals.  Then you feel better about what your eating. The cleanup is a 5 minute deal.  You'll still see water coming out when you're cooking but that is a natural thing.  The Pumped meat that is pre-packed has a declaration amount of 4-8 % saline solution depending on what item.  Think Walmart Meat. You end up with a plate full of water with your meal.
Lane Circle Mill
Homemade Bandmill

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 02:54:50 PM »
We trade firewood for a whole beef every third year.  Have it vacuum packed and it keeps just fine.  Works for us.  Vacuum packing is key.  Pork especially doesn't keep well if just paper wrapped.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 03:07:18 PM »
When I order a front quarter, I just tell them to get what they can for steaks, I want about a 4-5 lb primerib, the rest into burger, and 1/3 of the burger into 1/4 lb patties, and the bulk burger into 1 lb pkgs!

Never been dissatisfied!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
When we sell beef, a lot of people only want a quarter.  Our butchers want each half cut the same, and no customer yet wants to give up the steaks.   :D

Our solution is that the butcher will separate into mixed quarters, as long as the half is cut the same.  So we have a standard cut we go with to keep the butchers happy and that is agreeable for most of our customers. 

If the customer wants something special (thickness, steaks per package, etc.), we let them know we can do that, but they have to order a half or go in with someone else that wants it cut the same.  We have played beef matchmaker before to. (LOL)  But, that is an exception, not the rule.  ;)

Having burgers that don't shrink is also one of my favorite parts.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Offline Stoneyacrefarm

• Farmer/Service manager
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2020, 03:05:48 PM »
Beef out our way sells for $3-$3.50# hanginging weight and you pay the butcher cost. 
Which is .85 - $1 a pound. 
Hanging weights are usually between 550 & 700 pounds. 
Some of the places even charge a kill fee on top of the butcher costs. 
That is anywhere from $90-$150. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2020, 06:10:02 AM »
The prices have slowly went trough the roof since the ethanol craze took over .This I do remember from my FFA days .A beef with a steady rate of gain as a rule will be a leaner beef developing  muscle not fat .Once that rate drops it usually doesn't produce as good of meat .So in the case the market drops often the feed lots try to hold them some until the price rises again .
It's really something to have hamburger priced higher that T-bone steaks not that long ago .As I said rather than even fool with it I usually get the steak dinner out .Don't buy much beef any more but will add the meat loaf I made over the week end turned out great . :) 

Offline millwright

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2020, 06:09:31 PM »
Had to put a milk cow down because of an injury. Had it processed at a local butcher , mostly into hamburger. Was very good and really lean. 

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2020, 06:35:09 PM »
Jeff, that's a great price for 1/2 a cow.  Ditto the other's advice for storing in a chest type freezer with no defrost and vacuum bagging.  It should last for 1-2  years at least and save you 2X to 3X from what you'd buy in the store.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i've got a beef

Started by Engineer on General Board

44 Replies
Last post March 10, 2007, 10:27:46 AM
by Woodcarver
xx
Pit Beef

Started by Norm on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

21 Replies
Last post December 04, 2011, 04:56:08 AM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Where's the Beef

Started by Norm on General Board

19 Replies
Last post September 08, 2004, 08:01:33 AM
by Percy
xx
Roast Beef

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

18 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 06:55:57 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD