iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Half a beef

Started by Jeff, January 23, 2020, 06:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

One of the Farmers that drives bus has offered Tammy half a beef for $539.  In all our married life we have never bought a half beef. Is this a decent deal?  I guess one would need to know the weight, if its processed and wrapped and all that. She said she would ask tomorrow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

A-z farmer

That sounds like a good price if it includes processing and packaging too.We pay about 1 per hanging pound for processing and packages to our butcher.But it is also federally inspected too because we sell it in our store.Usually a side of beef is between 400 and 500 pounds hanging weight .We also pay 1.50 a pound for our pork processing.But this is New York prices so yours might be less in Michigan.
Zeke 

WV Sawmiller

I have no idea what is currently a fair price to pay for beef but the seller should be able to tell you the hanging weight (after skinned and halved and hanging in the cooler). We used to raise our own but after we got rid of our milk cow and quit raising calves Dad would buy a half or quarter from friends or co-workers who raised beef. We'd have our local butcher cut and wrap it as long as he was in business. You should be able to have it cut and packaged any way you want and however you and Tammy use it. Towards the end Dad always had ours cut entirely into hamburger (packaged as pre-formed patties) and cubed steak as that was what Mom could cook. I don't know if you don't want parts, like the heart or liver or such, if the butcher or seller gives a discount or provides other compensation such as a swap for other cuts.   

Since we have moved here we have occasionally bought half a hog when we had friends who had some to sell or did not want to buy a whole pig. It always worked well for us. I stock up on venison and catfish we just buy beef and pork as needed to supplement it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Depends on hanging weight weight of the animal if that includes  processing on an average 1350#  animal it's a good deal.

mroldstyle

That's a lot of meat for 2 people (?) Do you think you would use it up before it started getting freezer burnt?

Jeff

Id vacuum pack it. That is a lot of meat, and we usually dont eat much beef because we cant afford to frankly. We eat a lot of chicken and pork and a steakbor burgers are a treat. We like to make a pot roast with a roast, then turn the left overs into soup. I like tacos and chili and Spanish rice and meatloaf  and other burger ingredient dishes. We dont have any venison this year. Currently i am being officially warned to eat less. Im two days without coke. That should help.

Mooseherder

That would be somewhere around 2 dollars a pound if it is an average size animal.  A great price but quite an investment taking a chance if it isn't quality.  Is it a Steer or a Dairy Cow?   Personally,  I wouldn't buy that much because it would freezer burn on me and too many cuts I don't usually use.  I suppose you could have them grind it if you don't want certain cuts.  And there may be a processing charge not included.  On the other hand if the charge is included, that is one heck of a friendly Farmer. :)
I've been buying my Beef at Costco and do a little processing at home.  I grind my own hamburger also.  The value is incredible compared to traditional Markets around here.  I can stretch 60-65 dollars of Beef from Costco to make at least 5 meals for 5 people.  That would be 2 Steak Dinners and 3 Hamburger Meals or Hamburgers on the grill .  About 2.50 per meal portion.

Jeff

Well, the guy has worked with Tammy long enough to know what he's getting into.  :D

We might have to have beef the night before the pigroast instead of bolied dinner this year. It's Tammy's choice once she gets the details.

Brian_Rhoad

We pay near that ($539) for a quarter of beef. It is vacuum packaged and froze for that price. We keep it in a chest deep freeze. It doesn't defrost and the temperature is near zero degrees. It will last for over a year with no freezer burn. The secret is vacuum packing and no defrost.

Southside

Like the others said, it's either a great deal, or not so much.  Quality will make all the difference.  If the critter was well finished then it's an amazing deal as the all in cost to me is close to $3.00 / lb to grow, USDA butcher, and vacuum seal a beef, and that's on my ground from my calves with some purchased hay.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WWright

The price sounds fair.. We just sold four live animals and thats pretty close to what we got for them. You could have them save the the brisket and you could make your own corned beef. we do it all the time its real easy. Good Luck

Chuck White

The last that I bought was a front quarter of a Black Angus, and the cost was $3.00/pound, butchered, cut (to our specs), some of it ground, vacuum sealed, and frozen!

That was a great deal, usually in this area it's quite a bit higher!

I have an acquaintance locally that sells ground beef for $4.50/pound!  I've told him that it's too high if he's selling in bulk!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

We used to split an angus calf with a friend, we knew the source of the calf and the butcher involved, so it worked out well.  What wasn't cooking cuts was turned into coarse (chilli) grind.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WWright on January 24, 2020, 06:00:42 AM
 The price sounds fair.. We just sold four live animals and thats pretty close to what we got for them. You could have them save the the brisket and you could make your own corned beef. we do it all the time its real easy. Good Luck
Ditto the corned brisket. Attached is my recipe for making corned venison which would work same for beef. Very simple to make. It is set up for 5 lbs of meat - I use deer backstraps and brisket and we like it. Just adjust the amount based on the weight of the meat. Keep it in a plastic bucket or crock (Like a removable crock pot) in the fridge for 5 days turning daily to make sure the solution reaches all the meat. I put a heavy plate on top to keep the meat totally submerged. Old timers had a special stone for that.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Tammy didn't have school today because of icey roads, but I think she has made up her mind to not get it because of the amount of meat. We probably don't eat that much beef in 3 years, and we would be pretty mush forced to eat a lot more than we do. We are having hamburger soup today though! I made it yesterday. It was good then, but we all know soup gets better the next day!

WV Sawmiller

You might ask him if he would sell a quarter if you think you'd use that much then somebody else could buy the other quarter. Dad used to buy a quarter at a time sometimes after we had left home and they did not need as much. Either that or find a friend to split it with. Just a thought.
Howard Green

doc henderson

there are pros and cons.  we get a half just about 2 times a year.  we give a portion to my MIL.  we like hamburger.  we enjoy the roast and steaks as well, and it all averages out to about 1.5 bucks a pound for everything.  it takes up a small chest freezer and you are sometimes asking what to do about a certain cut of meat that we do not often use or buy.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Raider Bill

Billy and I share a half each year. Couple times it was a full steer but that's a bit too much. for the 3 of us.
We do get a lot of it ground and being it's grass fed and so lean I'm thinking it's pretty healthy.
Pay $100 for the calf, guy lets us leave it with his herd. Around $250-$350 when it's time to slaughter then whatever the processing costs.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

A half is too much for two people in my opinion .Been there and done that already .Then factor in for example steak.In some situations you can  buy the entire meal out for just about what a good steak alone costs .A few years ago I had over $30 in just the porter house steaks for lady fair and myself for New Years eve at her house .I did them over an electric grill on her counter top . US prime and they were really good though .I had to look in several places just to find US prime . 

Mooseherder

Carrying Prime Beef is a loss for retail markets.  There is no money in it and high shrink exposure.
These Primals are ordered by the case.  A case of Strips or Ribeyes cost 1200.00 dollars maybe more now.  No way I can sell through that product in most markets.  If you are not a regular purchaser of these items you aren't first in line to get them when you need it.

The Restaurant Industry can do it for a couple of reasons.  One is the customer doesn't see the product before cooking.
In the retail environment, the product degrades quickly.  Eye appeal is buy appeal.
Another is the percentage of cattle that grades Prime is low.  Restaurants, specialty houses or other specialty markets easily take up that demand and availability.  

chet

This fall we paid $2.90#, cut and vacuum wrapped to order, for a half an Angus.  We purchase from a large producer that is big enough that he has an onsite USDA processing  plant.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

thecfarm

Half a beef? We go through some beef in this house.  I don't know if we go through 10 pounds in a week. But Jeff has a couple kids. I betcha they would relieve some of the load off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I'd bet we are more like 5-10 lbs a month.

Chuck White

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 25, 2020, 12:42:47 PM
Carrying Prime Beef is a loss for retail markets.  There is no money in it and high shrink exposure.
These Primals are ordered by the case.  A case of Strips or Ribeyes cost 1200.00 dollars maybe more now.  No way I can sell through that product in most markets.  If you are not a regular purchaser of these items you aren't first in line to get them when you need it.

The Restaurant Industry can do it for a couple of reasons.  One is the customer doesn't see the product before cooking.
In the retail environment, the product degrades quickly.  Eye appeal is buy appeal.

Another is the percentage of cattle that grades Prime is low.  Restaurants, specialty houses or other specialty markets easily take up that demand and availability.  
Very true!  In the grocery store, I've seen the butcher (or helper) repackaging meat, open it up turn the meat over so the brown side is down and the fresh-looking red side is up, then reseal it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Yup - and the big commodity packers pump carbon monoxide into their sealed packs to keep the meat looking un-naturally red longer.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!