The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Beef-It's what's for dinner  (Read 986 times)

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Beef-It's what's for dinner
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »
My college room mate spent his summers on father's fishing boat, he would not touch seafood which I crave :D My parents were of British descent so my diet growing up while very good and plentiful wasn't particularly exciting, lots of meat, potatoes and fresh vegetables. At college I met a lot of cultures and their food, I had no idea what I had been missing. I'll try almost anything although may not go back for seconds.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 12:49:05 PM »
  i could eat raw tomatoes, and we put sugar on them.  the cooked stuff looked like brains to me. :)
My family thinks I am nuts putting sugar on sliced tomatoes, among other behavior quirks.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 12:58:29 PM »
In KS growing up my Mom made breaded tomatoes, now that I've "seen the light" I grow okra about once every 3 years and we freeze it for soups and with maters. In KY okra is a mixed bag not like the deep south where it's a given.
Try a Paula Deen Mater pie for a treat! easily found recipe on google.
Liz Taylor piling on the mashed taters! She did a stint in Menningers mental Hospital near me in KS. Too many taters?
Me thinks salt & pepper on a cantalope is nuts but everybody here does it. Sugar on a mater is part of many recipes such as breaded maters.
In two trips to UK & Ireland I like Irish better than the Brits. Other than the Indian influence such as curry, I dislike Brit food overall but get by on bar food OK there. I love peas but not so keen on mushy peas? They have been allowed to grow twice as long as sensible for starters. 
I'll give this out though, the British are indeed master gardeners! They even use walk boards to work in their gardens to avoid trampling soil. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »
my dad grew up poor.  prob. limited sugar and otherwise unneeded stuff.  He put 2 heaping teaspoons in every cup of coffee (truck driver)  and on cottage cheese and tomatoes.  my uncle used to make wine, that was so strong and dry from his own grapes, that we all put sugar in it as well.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 04:11:10 PM »
I make wine from kits now days, used to be I used fruits. I often back sweeten my wines at bottling using white or red grape juice sold for that purpose. 
I'm the opposite of a wine swab... :D
When I was a kid in Topeka, we- My cousin David(now dead mostly from Agent Orange) and two brothers and I ran lines in the Kaw and seined the sandbar puddles swam among the brown "trout" and talked to the hoboes in the Rock Island jungle we passed by. Our nickname was The River Kids. 
They'd hit us up for a dime to "buy coffee", which we often didn't have, then go buy a pint of Romeo & Juliet, a fortified wine that kept them in their happy place. I knew the bottles as they were laying all over the place down in there. 
Right now in my cellar I have Australian Chardonnay, White Zinfandel/strawberry summer wine(I blend it with Riunite Lambrusco at the table as tad light for me, Marionberry)tame blackberry) and white zinfandel. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Pit Beef

Started by Norm on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

21 Replies
Last post December 04, 2011, 04:56:08 AM
by SwampDonkey
xx
i've got a beef

Started by Engineer on General Board

44 Replies
Last post March 10, 2007, 10:27:46 AM
by Woodcarver