iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beef-It's what's for dinner

Started by tule peak timber, November 20, 2020, 01:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Getting ready for a traditional BBQ this Sunday. Anyone remember the movie "Giant " ? :)

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

sawguy21

DanG! I'm not allowed across the border to help. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

how do you prepare that?  i see you are tying to get ahead.  maybe dinner and a Mooovie.  sorry to put my hoof in my mouth, and be udderly ridiculous.  of course now I am just milking it!  at least I think it is a cow.   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Doesn't take the wisdom of an owl to tell that you are a real hoot. 8) 8)
I wish I could have you guys over for dinner, but my Governor says only he can do that....
 I'm going to wrap in a moist covering and bury overnight in coals. I have a lot of tail-gunners working here right now and I usually cook something different every week-helps keep moral up ! This will go into a taco style lunch on Monday. Something different ;D

K-Guy

Very interesting!  ;D

And of course Doc is all bull!! It doesn't behoove a professional to behave so Bullish!!   smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bull_stomp
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Walnut Beast

Quote from: doc henderson on November 20, 2020, 02:17:47 PM
how do you prepare that?  i see you are tying to get ahead.  maybe dinner and a Mooovie.  sorry to put my hoof in my mouth, and be udderly ridiculous.  of course now I am just milking it!  at least I think it is a cow.   :D :D :D
Doc you got the head rolling 😂😂😂

Southside

That ain't what we call BBQ around here....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

(X2 what Southside said.)

You must be having menudo with that. ??

BTW - I've seen Giant a few times - great movie - but I don't remember a cow head BBQ.  Guess I better watch it again.
HM126

tule peak timber

Sure-- near the beginning of the movie just after Rock ties the knot with Liz , he throws a party to introduce all the neighbors and in the food line she is offered a scoop of calf brains.Liz wilts and seeks shade under the nearest tree within a 100 mile radius. "Aw honey,youall will get used to it" he comforts her.Not sure if he meant the shade or the BBQ......... :D :D :D

btulloh

It's a long movie. Lots of details but not many trees. That's probably not the only scene I've forgotten. Maybe I went out to the kitchen about that time.  :)

At least you've got some trees around in case someone faints. 
HM126

tule peak timber

Yeah, a tough place to run a mill :D

kantuckid

In ~ 2009 I was on my motorcycle one winter tooling through one of the windiest places on earth? In southern Mexico in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, the narrow neck of lower Mexico. 
FWIW, when riding there you'll be in a constant wind lean similar to a fast corner on a bike. 
it may also be the worlds largest collection of plastic bags festooned on the scrubby bushes which are mostly all that grows there. 
I saw a food stand along the road in one of the poorest areas of a poor country. many there don't speak Spanish as they're indigenous. 
I walk up and am trying to figure out if the meat is Baa! or Moo! ??? I don't like lamb, sheep or goat meat at all! The lady goes into the back behind the canvas shielding the cooker area and comes out with a 55 gal drum lid and a pile of meat with a goat or sheeps head. No thank you, I'll pass on the animal head meat.
My wife's mamaw made pork souse mostly from the head "stuff", thankfully was before I came into the fold. 
When I worked in meat packing we used tripe and a few other choice ingredients for commercially made souse. 
Animal heads should become non-human something or other?  :D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

I got some Wagyu beef for my birthday.  My wife was at the end of her rope, so made a dinner for when she got home from work at 20:30.

she was so tired and over it she only ate a few bites of steak, but did eat half a pine cone (daylight donuts version)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Kantuckid: I grew up in a Navy family that moved every 12-18 mos. so I was exposed to everything from escargot (french snails) to carpaccio (Italian raw beef). As an adult I traveled a lot and ate live animals in Korea and scavenged the beaches in the Caribbean for whatever we could find to eat. That said, head cheese is not for everyone and I certainly understand!
Doc: Your dinner spread looks terrific! You're eating the king of the beef world! Cheers and Happy Birthday.
We're making teriyaki pork chunks tonight with jasmine rice and a tossed green salad. Simple but good.
Rob

sawguy21

I was hesitant the first time I was offered head cheese but found it good in a sandwich, my college room mate wouldn't go near it. :D Is that what you are referring to as souse?

kantuckid

Head cheese and souse are of the same type of "stuff". I never could get past the ingredients which are often part of an animal that IMO, don't qualify as food? When I worked at Ohse Meat Products in Topeka, KS we had routes covering KS and a 2nd plant in Okmulgee, OK. Fred Ohse the German heritage old guy who began the company had an obvious influence on the original product lines, like head cheese and souse. Fred kept a dressed goat carcass hanging in cold storage there for his own home enjoyment-this was well before the USA had enough immigrants who ate goats to make it worth selling in places like KS or OK where our inspection limited us. 
We bought truckloads of crock material mixing bowls which were sold full of head cheese which was poured into them. My Mom used one for many years as a large mixing bowl for holidays such as to mix dressing. Pretty much the same mix of interesting animal parts were sliced in the heavily gelatined loaves of souse. It had to be chilled well before slicing or it was too soft. I ran the packaging room there.
Traditionally the gelatin comes from what you put in the stuff not an added ingredient. 
Every night on 2nd shift hundreds of pounds of frozen port tripe were ground in a huge grinder which made it into small chunks which when thawed got chopped further.
FWIW, the man we called "Sauerkraut John", based on his demeanor not his German birthright was the honcho of the show, a job called the Sausagemaker. John was a Cornell graduate and came from Germany with his family to NY state, having been pulled from his meat packing apprenticeship by the father who moved them all out of Nazi German in the 1930's. His own family owned the plant but he was required to serve an apprenticeship to work there. I think it was 7 or 8 years long and he'd maybe gone halfway in his. Not like the 4 years/8,000 hours I served as a mechanic, which seemed pretty long to me?
I got to know John really well as I was a Spice Blender for ~ 8-9 months, a company pick job but union wages before I was chosen as a foreman. Every!!!! recipe came from John and was stored in a safe which a select few knew the combination thereof. When I reported for work in the afternoon, the safe was opened "for me", not "by me" and I kept it under wraps until I left to mix the spices using resins, powders and such and an electronic scale in a large area full of spices in big tin cans and many barrels of spices. We bought items like peppercorns in 100# bags by the truckload a an e.g.. 
They burned me out fast working there and I left by my own choice. Went to work at 1:30 a.m. and began transcribing orders off of a telephone recording device then I wrote the production order for that days sausage kitchen and the packaged order types and totals for the packaging room I ran. 
My favorite "free food" there was to pick the tidbits off the pork shanks as they came out of many hours of heavy smoking. 

tule peak timber

What cool history! I've been lucky enough to work with a few extremely driven individuals; one from the top of the jet development program and the other person, who fled Germany as a 9 year old kid, became a major steel fabricator here in Los Angeles and is now a gazillionaire. Can't say enough about what you can learn from people who are driven, their lifestyles and into what they put their energy.

As far as foods I can't stand; I was a commercial fisherman for several years and of the different types of things I pursued, the ones I did the best in, like mako shark and giant spot prawns, I can't even bear looking at today. Something about being covered in their juices for days on end, no sleep and pounding into a vicious head sea, hanging on for my life, has left an indelible bad taste in my mouth. So, for all the fun stuff that my wife and I crank out in the kitchen, there are limits for me too!

kantuckid

I have always joked that i could "eat a rock" if it had chili powder on it. 
Fish wise I cannot stand the pickled herring my best KS friend snacked on! He spent summers farming in Iowa with his grandparents who spoke German at home.
Hillbillys often like several items I dislike-parsnips and especially turnips. I have grown to love Collard greens as even better than the spinach I've always liked. 
Rhubarbs another I cannot take!

tule peak timber

doc henderson

my dad grew up working on a chicken farm, and at a dairy.  he could not eat eggs, chicken or cottage cheese for the first 10 years of my life.  the only thing i refused to eat, was breaded tomatoes.  i could eat raw tomatoes, and we put sugar on them.  the cooked stuff looked like brains to me. :)

sawguy21

My college room mate spent his summers on father's fishing boat, he would not touch seafood which I crave :D My parents were of British descent so my diet growing up while very good and plentiful wasn't particularly exciting, lots of meat, potatoes and fresh vegetables. At college I met a lot of cultures and their food, I had no idea what I had been missing. I'll try almost anything although may not go back for seconds.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: doc henderson on November 22, 2020, 11:08:54 AM
  i could eat raw tomatoes, and we put sugar on them.  the cooked stuff looked like brains to me. :)
My family thinks I am nuts putting sugar on sliced tomatoes, among other behavior quirks.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

kantuckid

In KS growing up my Mom made breaded tomatoes, now that I've "seen the light" I grow okra about once every 3 years and we freeze it for soups and with maters. In KY okra is a mixed bag not like the deep south where it's a given.
Try a Paula Deen Mater pie for a treat! easily found recipe on google.
Liz Taylor piling on the mashed taters! She did a stint in Menningers mental Hospital near me in KS. Too many taters?
Me thinks salt & pepper on a cantalope is nuts but everybody here does it. Sugar on a mater is part of many recipes such as breaded maters.
In two trips to UK & Ireland I like Irish better than the Brits. Other than the Indian influence such as curry, I dislike Brit food overall but get by on bar food OK there. I love peas but not so keen on mushy peas? They have been allowed to grow twice as long as sensible for starters. 
I'll give this out though, the British are indeed master gardeners! They even use walk boards to work in their gardens to avoid trampling soil. 

doc henderson

my dad grew up poor.  prob. limited sugar and otherwise unneeded stuff.  He put 2 heaping teaspoons in every cup of coffee (truck driver)  and on cottage cheese and tomatoes.  my uncle used to make wine, that was so strong and dry from his own grapes, that we all put sugar in it as well.

kantuckid

I make wine from kits now days, used to be I used fruits. I often back sweeten my wines at bottling using white or red grape juice sold for that purpose. 
I'm the opposite of a wine swab... :D
When I was a kid in Topeka, we- My cousin David(now dead mostly from Agent Orange) and two brothers and I ran lines in the Kaw and seined the sandbar puddles swam among the brown "trout" and talked to the hoboes in the Rock Island jungle we passed by. Our nickname was The River Kids. 
They'd hit us up for a dime to "buy coffee", which we often didn't have, then go buy a pint of Romeo & Juliet, a fortified wine that kept them in their happy place. I knew the bottles as they were laying all over the place down in there. 
Right now in my cellar I have Australian Chardonnay, White Zinfandel/strawberry summer wine(I blend it with Riunite Lambrusco at the table as tad light for me, Marionberry)tame blackberry) and white zinfandel. 

Thank You Sponsors!