iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Eve seafood boil

Started by DPatton, December 25, 2020, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

Hard to beat a good Christmas Eve seafood boil! This time I used 3 of the Zatarans boil in-bag seasoning, a couple splashes of apple cider vinegar, about 3 lbs of red potato's, 3 lbs of andouille sausage chunked into 2"-3" pieces, 4 quartered yellow onions, 2 whole bulbs of garlic, 5 whole lemons quartered, a dozen or so half ears of sweet corn, 6 whole dungeoness crab clusters, a dozen or so king crab legs, a pound of whole crawfish, and three lbs of large shrimp. That's a lot of food in one big turkey fryer pot. Don't think I could have fit another shrimp in it.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Don P

That looks good! We did ribeyes and shrimp on the grill over homemade charcoal. It started low and slow and then the wind kicked up and turned it into a forge  :D but it all worked out.

kantuckid

I'll just come out and say it- I simply don't care that much for the boils which are a craze in recent years. I like all of what's inside them but prepped differently-not all boiled and in spiced up water. 
We had stir fried Brussel sprouts, angus roast w/homemade noodles, our own heirloom green beans and Incredible home grown corn with Angel Biscuits and more...  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WV Sawmiller

I can't say I would cook it but I would eat that. digin1

For Christmas dinner my wife baked a ham in the oven and we had green bean casserole and candied sweet taters. Pretty low key since just the two of us here. I think I will be eating ham sandwiches for a month unless we come up with a good leftover ham recipe. Maybe ham potpie?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kantuckid

Been there done that on hams. My Dad worked in KS state guvment over the trucking industry and back then companies gave him hams, fruit boxes and more. We gave away hams to some but in the end we made ham salad. I love the stuff! It's even better made with our home canned recipe for whats called- "Mixed Pickle" , which is a sweet relish. 
Grind some ham scraps, mix with mayo, mustard to taste and maybe some pepper-mayo ham and relish are the main ingredients.
When i was a college football player in Emporia KS they often had roast beef salad for lunches in the cafeteria. Other kids smirked while Mikey ate their lunch.  :D it's made the same as ham salad. The bones are saved for beans-Navy beans are our fave bean. I have seeds coming for a new bean I'll grown if covid doesn't get me before the shot- It's a bush, drying bean called Tiger eye which came from South America orginally. Also have some Violet's multi-colored butterbeans cause we ate all our seed stock a few years back. Those are good in chili!

sawguy21

I love seafood, bring it on! digin_2
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

Everybody's stuff sounds tasty 😋 

Ricker

We did seafood as well.  Turned 5 lobsters, a lb of scallops, 3 lbs of shrimp, 3 lbs of haddock and 4 lbs of potatoes in a big seafood chowder. Like any recipe that starts with melt a pound of butter... It was real tasty.

Raider Bill

We used to do "boils" in milk cans with a couple holes drilled in the top.
Called it can cooking
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

kantuckid

I get the seafood part but for me the boil it aspect is not how I want to eat any of those tasty friends of ours from the ocean. We do not live on fried everything at my house as does much of my area.
 I do however dislike poached, boiled or raw seafood (sushi=yuk), period. Not real keen on baked fish either. I was surprised at a Salmon Bake to see them grilling salmon steaks over a wood fire and gotta say they were delishcious even if they did resemble a grilled pork chop somewhat. 
 I do concede on cocktail style shrimp. Also, every summer when the corn comes in, we eat fresh corn on the cob from our garden(often whole meals in season come from our gardens) cooked in salted water for 10-12 min. then buttered and eaten first item while hot. Not cut into little cobs and flavor hidden among creatures of the deep with spice all over it.
I wonder where KFC would be today if they had began as KY Boiled Chicken? :D  

Thank You Sponsors!