The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Coffee Drinkers -- How do you make your coffee?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Rhodemont

• Full Member x2
  • Logging and milling just a hobby
    • Share Post
Re: Coffee Drinkers -- How do you make your coffee?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »
Farberware 6 cup percolator with whole bean Down East breakfast blend from here in RI every morning. Cream no sugar  Two cups to get started and one for the road.  In the winter evenings after coming in a cup of 'Lavazza' Kilimanjaro in the Moka Pot on the woodstove for a hot espresso warm me up, black. When camping with the horse trailer a Colletti Bozeman stainless steel percolator with coffee from a can of Chock Full of Nuts, black.  My dad used a Farberware with CFN as long as I can remember,  I did not know there was anything else for the longest time.  
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T and now a CS-361P

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 03:05:29 PM »
In scouts, put the coffee in cold water in a coffee pot, over a camp fire.  boil then let it cool some and pour slow to not get too many grounds.  Roy Wilson was a WW2 vet, and scout leader.  one fall we were having coffee at a camporee and tons of leaves on the ground in a wooded area.  rustling the leaves with your feet smelled great.  he told scouts that the coffee we were drinking came from the leaves on the ground.  How could we predict that the good and loyal scouts would fill their back pacts full of leaves to take home for their moms to try.  I am sure the moms were thrilled!  good cooffee (as they say in Albany, NY).
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 03:07:48 PM »
I tried Folgers, didn't care for it.
:) :) I'm not picky. I just drink it black, Tammy mixed hers with flavoured creamers. :D Don't get me wrong, just because I'm cheap doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good cup of coffee when I accidentally get one somewhere. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »
Ahhh doc, now that is the way to make coffee on a cool morning in the bush!

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 03:14:17 PM »
at camp alexander in Colorado in June, if you had mess duty for breakfast, had to get up early to get flag up in camp and go to mess to serve other troops.  someone would go get coffee started.  It is in the mountains west of Colorado Springs, so no flat ground.  I remember setting my hot coffee on a table in the early mourning, as the cup began skating down hill with frost on the table, and I had to grab it.  good times.  made the coffee taste even better.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 04:17:21 PM »
I like the coffee from a coffee press, but it takes too long during the weekdays when I'm working so we use the Amazon K-Cups that Raider Bill posted.

Offline Mike W

• Location: Boundary Washington - Right on the edge of the Northern Boarder
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 05:34:45 PM »
Pour over, did the K-cup when grinding in the corporate world, was ok, but like the coffee stronger then most of those would produce.

Black Rifle Coffee Company for us - fantastic coffee - great names for them and we have ours on a recurring delivery every couple week.  Veteran owned as well 

Murdered Out is my favorite blend but I like a really dark roast.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 09:16:35 PM »
When working we started with the corporate large drip connected to tap water, coffee in pre-measured packets. First one arriving made it last to leave dumped the last grounds.  It was ok as it was coffee after all.  Before I retired we had a Kcup style machine with all types of choices.   I usually did a dark roast black with less water, you could select a water quantity from 4 oz to 10oz.  I'd leave home with a large thermos for the drive but ensured I left the wife with a couple of cups in the carafe.  At home we grind beans and use a drip maker and make 12 cups.  Starbucks dark roast from Costco bought on sale.  Usually keep bags ahead in a small fridge, I get nervous if we get down to two bags.  Again mine is usually black and wifey does a bit of cream.

Used stove top percolator when camping.  When back packing with scouts it was water heated on back pack stove and instant or bags. 

My wife's family were tea drinkers hot or iced.  Once we started dating she converted.  Our children don't like coffee....at least she says they are mine.

Growing up it was electric percolator with Maxwell House.  Been drinking coffee as far back as I can remember. 

My daughter's boy friend is Cuban.  When we visit his family his grandmother makes Cuban coffee.  Very strong and very sweet.  It is a nice treat!

Wow, got carried away there.  I like coffee!

Offline armechanic

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 09:47:10 PM »

When in the military, Cooks would use a large pot and put coffee in a bag(They said a used sock) and let it boil. After Desert Storm I wouldn't buy 

starbucks because they refused to send coffee to the troops, They didn't want to support the war.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 01:03:51 AM »
Moka pot
Peets coffee
Starbucks cinnamon dolche creamer.  

1 on weekdays
2 on weekends.

One cup at work while I read the paper.  I think they use caribou coffee.  

Offline HousTony

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 07:15:47 PM »
Greetings all

It is perhaps odd that my first post on the Forestry Forum is about coffee. I am a coffee nerd though so Ill take this opportunity to chime in.

I buy green coffee and roast it at home in my hillbilly modified hot-air popcorn popper. My favorite beans are Ethiopian, my lovely bride prefers Guatemalan. Regardless the origin, I brew the same strength: 18 parts water to 1 part coffee...through an overpriced but flexible drip maker from The Netherlands.

We generally brew up 6 cups during the week and 8 on the weekend. She adds sweetener and a generous dose of half & half...I take mine black in a heavy diner mug. One of the best things about coffee nerd-ness for me is savoring the way the flavor profile of a bean changes as the cup gradually cools. Those thick diner mugs are great for that.

Ive blathered on long enough. Thanks OP for kicking this off and getting me started.

Best regards,
Tony

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 09:53:41 PM »
Welcome Tony!  Coffee thread is a good place to start.  I may have missed an earlier post from others but, I believe you are the first roasting their own beans.  Where do you get you greens beans?

Offline HousTony

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2021, 10:26:39 PM »
My go-to sources are Happy Mug in PA, and Sweet Marias in Oakland.  HM generally has lower prices and fast shipping.  SM has a wealth of information and works directly with the farmers they source from.  I piddle some with espresso too and for that use Brazilian base beans from Theta Ridge out of IN. Their website is slim on information though.

Regards,
Tony

Offline woodroe

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2021, 06:07:16 PM »
Eight 0 Clock Colombian whole bean, price is right and tastes decent.  
Grind a heaping 1/4 cup beans not too fine, 
add filter to 5 cup drip Mr Coffee and good for another day. 

Offline Lostinmn

• I was me, but now he's gone.
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2021, 06:29:16 PM »
K-cups are hard to beat when you have a difference of flavors in the household.  I like mine dark and strong or cinnamon flavored, but my wife likes butter toffee or French vanilla types.  I ordered a huge variety pack of dark roasts way back when we first got it and scored all the dark roast coffees.  My go to is green mountain dark magic for the first couple in the morning and Cinnabon K-Cup for afternoon fix.

Its a tad more expensive using k-cups than brewing, but consider the price of a divorce these days.   :)  :D

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2021, 10:44:44 PM »
I'm the only coffee drinker in my house. Have used this Black and Decker Brew-n-Go for at least 25 years. The fine mesh screen was accidently tossed years ago, so I use a regular coffee filter instead. The stainless container is the best way to keep ground coffee fresh. It is air-tight. The sealed cover is pushed on top of the coffee grounds. I buy beans and grind enough for a week or so, keeping them in the sealed container. Beans I keep in the freezer.

Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2021, 05:17:07 AM »
That little Brew-N-Go is handy. When I used to run the road chasing white oak, it was the first thing I packed rather than deal with motel coffee makers. Fresh mug in matter of couple minutes.  8)

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2021, 07:32:42 AM »
I love it. Use a K-cup at work. That's fine too, but I can't see replacing my brew-n-go.
Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-13 still feel OK and am retired
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2021, 08:27:01 AM »
I like strong coffee a habit learned from my parents.
used a percolator up until about 15 yrs ago when wifey got our first keurig.
Perc was done with a heaping measure per cup and one for the pot, cant remember the brand.
Keurig is their Double diamond the strongest they offer.
I do use one dot of sugar and half and half, 2 10 oz mugs per morning, once in a while one in the afternoon.
Wife watches the keurig sales and gets it for about $.50 per cup.
Also have to figure in amortization of the maker, we are on our 3rd one, I figure about .015 per cup.
More than I would like but worth it for the consistency of product and convenience.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Sugar

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2021, 02:34:06 PM »
I am with deer meadow farm on the press.  I never turn down a cup of coffee regardless of how it's made. But at home we have a press that makes 2.5 mugs of coffee at a time.  We use whole bean, a small electric grinder and an electric kettle that heats the water in probably 2-3 minutes max.  

So far everyone that we have shared a cup with have been shocked at the difference.  I also would have to give credit to my wife for the whole setup.  I would have never known what I was missing.  
Hooked up and Hard down

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Coffee Anyone?

Started by YellowHammer on Sawmills and Milling

59 Replies
Last post April 11, 2016, 09:18:54 PM
by LAZERDAN
smiley
Coffee

Started by isawlogs on General Board

67 Replies
Last post November 04, 2007, 09:25:31 PM
by solodan