iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spiral grain

Started by woodhick, August 22, 2005, 12:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I noticed a 20+" white oak on my place just died :'(.   When I looked at it the bark spirals pretty hard around the tree.  I know there was some talk about this on here before but I can't remember the details, "part timers".   The spiral on this tree goes from right to left looking up tree from the ground.  I would like to try to quartersaw it.  Will it be any count or warp and twist like all get out.  :o :o :o   Thanks for any replies.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Furby

Fla._Deadheader

We sawed a "spiral" log. Not sure if it was Cypress or Red Gum. The grain is not all that pronounced, and the boards are "Wimpy". You pick up a board in the middle, and both ends weep toward the ground. We Q'sawed and Flatsawed. Looks the same both ways ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Well, Woodhick, I can only think of one thing to do in this situation.  Open it up and see what's inside.  The tree's a goner anyway, and yer bound to get something out of it.  If it don't work out, the woodstove won't care if it's crooked or not. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodhick

DanG,  I like your thinking ;D.  That's what  I am going to do just thought I ask the question.  If worse comes to worse I'll  make a whole bunch of toothpicks. :o
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

woodbeard

White oak toothpicks?

I'll take a case of 'em! :D

ARKANSAWYER

You can saw it either way but if it is a right twist it should saw out fine.  Left twist and you may find more rot and defects inside.  If you find a left hand twist tree around here most of the time it is hollow or a very crooked tree.  We just saw them into to fire wood.  Most trees tend to twist to the right if even slightly.
ARKANSAWYER

Fla._Deadheader

Yup, ours was a righty twist. Sound as a dollar, just wimpy.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

what is the rule?....Trees above the equator twist to the right... trees below the equator twist to the left... no wait I think that is for the water in the.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!