iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee

Started by isawlogs, November 01, 2007, 08:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solodan

Brdmkr is right about the blending of beans. You can still have a darker roasted flavor with higher caffeine content by blending different varieties of beans, or even blending different roasts. This is the reason for the early morning blends. The names of these usually tells you this, like Breakfast Blend. :)  We do one called the Shack Blend and another called Rise and Shine. :)   On another note, if I am making coffee at home or even camping, I prefer a french press method.  This method is  as easy as instant, and once you get on the french press method you won't want anything else.  :)

brdmkr

I use a press pot from time to time myself, but mine doesn't make as much as I would like.  I ought to check into a larger pot.  I have seen a pot that works like a siphon (Turkish pot???).  That looks like it would make a stout cup as well.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

OK, you guys have taken this to a new level.  Just what is the "French Press method?"
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WH_Conley

Gee, the way Gradnma Flossie taught me to make coffe was to put water and coffee into a pot, boil it, add cold water to settle the grounds and use your moustashe to filter out the rest.

Guess thats's reason I carry a moustach (sp) til this day.

Course you could count the drinks from the cup by counting the rings :D :D :D

Only way I know how to make it, just ask my wife. ;D 
Bill

brdmkr

Quote from: DanG on November 03, 2007, 09:32:35 PM
OK, you guys have taken this to a new level.  Just what is the "French Press method?"

Well, it is not as exotic as it sounds.  A French press is a pot with straight sides (no taper).  You put ground coffee in and pour in hot water.  Stir with a spoon.  Then you put the top on.   The top has a hole in the middle with a rod running through the hole.  A screen that just fits inside the pot is attached to this rod.  You press the rod down and it pushes all of the coffee grounds to the bottom and out of your coffee.  So, the grounds are pressed to the bottom by the screen and the coffee can be served relatively ground-free.  Next time I see you, I'll make sure to have the press with me. 

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

inspectorwoody

Black with nothing else in it for the most part but sometimes I'll put in some milk and a bunch of sugar.

Tom

Being able to make that fancy coffee must have the women chasing you all over the place.  Is that why they call you Broad maker? :D

WILDSAWMILL

Quote from: WH_Conley on November 03, 2007, 09:52:27 PM
Gee, the way Gradnma Flossie taught me to make coffe was to put water and coffee into a pot, boil it, add cold water to settle the grounds and use your moustashe to filter out the rest.

Guess thats's reason I carry a moustach (sp) til this day.

Course you could count the drinks from the cup by counting the rings :D :D :D

Only way I know how to make it, just ask my wife. ;D 

if you drop a egg shell in there the grounds fall to bottom
i like mine from folgers only thing i put in it might be some scotch
Kascosaw2B

brdmkr

Quote from: Tom on November 03, 2007, 10:20:49 PM
Being able to make that fancy coffee must have the women chasing you all over the place.  Is that why they call you Broad maker? :D

Only have one woman chasing me.  If I can get that rolling pin out of her hand :o, I might let her catch me ;D

DanG

Well shucks, Mike!  I thought it was gonna be something fancy.  That sounds like the stuff Festus used to make for Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke, 'cept he didn't have no screen to filter out the solids.  I was thinkin' maybe they boiled the whole beans, then pressed the coffee out of'em, or sumpthin. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

solodan

Quote from: DanG on November 03, 2007, 11:07:59 PM

That sounds like the stuff Festus used to make for Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke, 'cept he didn't have no screen to filter out the solids.  

It's pretty close, and the only reason you need the screen is to push the grounds down. The problem with a perculator is that you have to boil the water, which is just a little to hot and scorches the coffee, giving it a burnt taste. The coffee from the press is better tasting, but don't be mistaken.This is a thick cup of coffee, with lots of sediment left in the coffee, which usually gets stuck in the paper filter of drip brewed coffee.

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all are just toooo DanG fancy, or fussy  ::) ::) ::)

We use a small wire frame that holds a sock type bag. Dump in yer grounds, boil some water, and dump that in. A spoon of coffee, and fill the little bag with water, and you get about 1 mug of coffee. Double the grounds, and set a small pot under the bag, and add twice the water, OR, same amount of water and add plain water to a ½ mug.

Extreme boiled water, gets out more coffee from the grounds. We NEVER re-run left over coffee, well, Reina might  ::) ::) ::)

It's just too easy to do the one spoon fill the bag and wait a few seconds. Unless yer sloppy with fillin the bag, you never get grounds in yer cup.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Coffee tastes fine out of my stainless perk. Once it starts to perk I turn the heat down low to keep it hot. It's not scortched coffee. If you leave the coffee in the pot for hours it might be scortched I suppose. Prefer to make fresh if I want to drink coffee all day, which I never do. I only drink as much as 2 cups any day. Some people prefer their coffee boiled to death.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I love the smell of perked coffee as it is making.  Before I had the drip machine that has a thermos carafe, I would use a 2 qt. Stanley Stainless Thermos to put the coffee in.  It keeps it drinkable for hours without destroying the flavor with continuous heat.

Gael bought me a drip maker that will make two separate 10 cup pots at one time.   It has thermos carafes and I use them when I'm in the house.   I sure like that machine.  I can make two different strengths of coffee when we have guests, or one de-caffeinated and one straight up, or one flavored and one for me.....  or even tea in one side and coffee in the other.  :)  The problem with using it for tea is the after taste.  It ruins the next pot of coffee.  :D

DanG

Quote from: Tom on November 04, 2007, 11:19:41 AM
I can make two different strengths of coffee when we have guests, or one de-caffeinated and one straight up, or one flavored and one for me.....  or even tea in one side and coffee in the other.  :) 

Or, when I come over, we can make 2 pots of real coffee at once, then we're good to go for almost an hour before we hafta make more. 8) 8)

Raider Bill

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on November 04, 2007, 09:32:00 AM

Y'all are just toooo DanG fancy, or fussy  ::) ::) ::)

We use a small wire frame that holds a sock type bag. Dump in yer grounds, boil some water, and dump that in. A spoon of coffee, and fill the little bag with water, and you get about 1 mug of coffee. Double the grounds, and set a small pot under the bag, and add twice the water, OR, same amount of water and add plain water to a ½ mug.

Extreme boiled water, gets out more coffee from the grounds. We NEVER re-run left over coffee, well, Reina might  ::) ::) ::)

It's just too easy to do the one spoon fill the bag and wait a few seconds. Unless yer sloppy with fillin the bag, you never get grounds in yer cup.  8) 8)

This is how my second EX and her family make it. They are from Puerto Rico and never use a machine.
After straining it they will return to sauce pan, add cream and sugar. and let simmer I guess. I think they called it cafe con leachy or something like that.

When I'm out of my costa rican beans I buy 8 o'clock columbiam at the store in the brown bag. It's about as good as you can get here and not a bad price.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Tom, you do make a good point about using the thermos.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

solodan

And now you can buy a thermos french press. You pour hot water in, mix in the grounds, and push the plunger down and you have yourself a thermos of coffee.  ??? You can also get a coffee press travel mug, whereas you make the coffee in the mug and press the grounds to the bottom and lock it in place. Then you just enjoy your coffee right out of the mug.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!