iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gobblers

Started by metalspinner, November 22, 2007, 11:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

LeeB

Do you inject it with anything? I like injecting Italian dressing in mine and generously coating the outside with Tony's.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Is that a maple leaf in the bottom right of the pic?  Or did it come from a Gobbler Tree?  No.........wait.......you must be referring to the turkey frying in the pot ??? ;D.  This is the food thread, not the tree ID thread............sorry :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Looked like sweetgum to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

There you go, LeeB, trying to hijack the thread :).  (I think that you are right ;D).

MS,  was it good???
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Here in southern MN we have neighbors who raise turkeys for a large processor. In past years we have cooked turkeys for Thanksgiving that we got from them. But this year, the ones they are raising have been sick and we decided not to get any. Sometimes they do medicate the whole flock, but it cost so much to medicate the processor has just decided to take the higher loss rate.

When those turkeys are full grown, they are just huge. One time we checked with one of those cheap hanging scales and one turkey weighed 43 lbs dressed. We cannot find a roaster pan to hold one of those birds so we have to cut the legs and wings off and just cover the top with aluminum foil as the roaster cover will not fit.

There is no way you could fit one of those monsters into that turkey fryer.  ;D ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

metalspinner

That's a maple leaf.  A Black Maple I believe.  I had to blow about twelves inches of leaves off the drive to set up the pot.

We inject it with the "Cajun Injector" brand stuff.  I don't usually put anything on the outside because the color gets too dark.  Some Tony's on there won't do that, though.

The biggest turkey you should put in these little pots is about a 14-15 pounder.  Now, Dad made himself a pot that he can go with a 20-22 pounder.  It sounds like a jet engine when he has it going.

We fried three turkeys yesterday. One for us and two for some friends.

Oh, it tasted goooood. ;D food2

Tom

My BIL has a cooker and pot just like Metal Spinners.  We cooked yesterday's bird in it and it was perfect and delicious.  The best job he's done n several years.  We were concerned that it hadn't gotten done enough because the juices weren't clear in the joint of the leg.  As it turned out, the rest of the bird was perfect.  We let the legs sit a bit and they continued to cook and were OK.   I like Fried Turkey.

metalspinner

Yep, that's the spot you need to check.  Right there in the leg joint.  We usually go three minutes a pound plus about 5-10 minutes - depending on the size of the bird.

WDH

I am ready now to fry a turkey ;D.  (Once I get all this green lumber that I cut stacked :)).

Don K

How much did you end up getting out of the oaks, Danny?

This is the first year in about 8 that I haven't fried a turkey. There is always Christmas left though.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

About 500 feet of heart wood.  All the sapwood was spalted or too soft to use, so the yield was much lower than what you would normally get.  The grade was just so-so, but I hated to see these trees just rot and fall down.

We both need to fry a turkey this christmas ;D.  (Or get Metalspinner to fry 2 more than the 3 or 4 he will fry anyway :D).

metalspinner

Quote(Or get Metalspinner to fry 2 more than the 3 or 4 he will fry anyway ).

:DOne of our new turkey frier club members is a classmate of one of the boys.  I have a feeling word will get out this week.  The line might be a bit longer at Christmas. :)

Thank You Sponsors!