iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chicken & Noodles

Started by Norm, December 27, 2007, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We got the rest of the week off work courtesy of our sons! This is the first time Patty and I have had a day off together in 5 1/2 years so we really let our hair down. While she worked on a quilt up in the loft I made homemade chicken and noodles. I know you're thinking wow but after spending the morning cleaning house this was a lot more fun. Well that and it's just too darn cold to go work furing out the new shop. ;)

First I got 6 fresh eggs just layed by our hens.

Added a little olive oil and used the whisk to beat them up until smooth. I then add some flour to make a batter about the consistency of pancake batter.

I pour it out on the counter and work more flour in until I get a stiff dough.

After kneading it for a few minutes I cover with saran wrap and let sit for about an hour to rest.

ely

that is not how we make chikens here norm ;D

faronskid

Hey thanks Norm,  I am getting ready to make chicken and noodles and I got on here to see if I could find a good noodle recipe.  You really can find anything you want on the forestry forum. 
5 rugrats = no dull moments here

Norm

I forgot to add the last couple of pictures.

And finally the best part, a big bowl.

Jeff

The wait was worth it.  MMMMMMMM  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

That looks so good that I can't stand it!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

Almost looks as good as the barbecue.   :o
Say when

scsmith42

Man, these pix are making my stomach growl!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

Thanks Norm, I finally know how to make noodles ;D What faronskid said. That does look good, especially on a cold day. Mmmm.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Thanks folks. :)

Sawguy they are not very hard to make. I can make a small batch in an hour or so for supper. I have so many extra eggs that I needed to figure out what to do with them. I use them for other things but my hands down favorite is for ice cream. This time of year I don't do it very often but in the summer I make it quite often.

Burlkraft

Wow Norm.....That Patty is one lucky gal for sure  ;)  ;)  ;)

That soup looks sooooo good    :) :)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tom

Your Chicken and noodles looks all in the world like what we called "Wet dumplins".   'Cept our dumplins' had no eggs.  :)

Norm

I don't think it should be called a soup either Tom. My grandma made something similar that she'd spoon over fresh biscuits. Boy was that ever good. To me a soup should be almost a broth with some veggies cut up in with chicken and noodles. This starts out that way but I thicken it with a roux.

Now I'd really like to hear what your Grandma's recipe for wet dumplings is if you have it. :)

Haytrader

Norm,

You dun went and made me hungry for chicken and noodles.
So........I threw some things in da pot and this is what we had for supper tonight.
I didn't make my noodles. I got a bag out of the freezer.
We ate ours with some fresh bread TJ made today.
I told her I wish we had some bread bowls.
Haytrader

WDH

I took a nother look at this post, Norm.  I am sittin' here starvin'  digin1.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

Norm,
I don't have a recipe. She just added water to flour until it was "just right", if you know what I mean.  :D

Basically, her biscuits and dumplings were different only in the amount of water, milk or buttermilk added to the all pupose flour or bisquick.

This Link is a pretty common Southern Recipe from The Food Network

The dumplings are wet, because they are rolled out thin (less than 1/4" sometimes) and cookied in the liquid  of the chicken and stock.  The flour provides the thickening.  Relative to a biscuit, they are "heavy" (dense) and retain the moisture and flavor of the liquid.  You find folks moving the chicken aside to eat the dumplings.  :)

Norm

Thanks Tom. :) My Mom and her Mom cooked much the same way. They had made the recipe so many times that they knew by feel how it should be. My Mom ran a restaurant and cooked for a family of 8 so big dishes were standard. I remember going home to visit after we had all moved out. She would still cook huge proportions, just the habit.

Now Haytrader the reason I put that step by step recipe on here was so folks would see how easy they are to make. Next time no cheating with the frozen ones. ;)

I keep telling you Danny to talk your company into timber land in Iowa, see what you're missing. :)

WDH

I will be bringing up the matter with the Boss immediately in the New Year!!

Haytrader

I know I cheated Norm. I usually leave the mixing of flour to TJ. She would rather I did anyway. She made some right tasty dumplins for Christmas.
I been on this kick to clean out the freezer is my excuse this time.   ;)

Anywho, it was your prompting (by posting the step by step) that made me hungry for chicken and noodles to start with. So bring on another one and I will try to follow more closely.
food6
Haytrader

ely

had some turkey and dumplins this weekend at moms house,...........and norm your noodles were the topic of discussion. you are nationwide.

Thank You Sponsors!