iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12 grain bread

Started by SwampDonkey, December 23, 2011, 12:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here's my bread recipe I follow. It's the only bread I make. Some things you may or may not have locally, such as 12 grain cereal made by a local gris mill.

This makes two loaves and you need a large bread bowl, larger than those glass Pyrex bowls by another 1/2. I use a #12 Gripstand (says on the bottom).

12 Grain Bread.

Turn oven on 180 F for 5 minutes to warm the walls of the oven, then turn off and leave oven light on during the rest of the process. This is to prepare to raise the bread.

1) Cook in sauce pan for 15-20 minutes on low-medium heat:

1 cup water
1/3 cup 12 grain cereal
1/3 cup rolled oatmeal
1/3 cup ground raw flax seed

2) In large mixing bow:

1-3/4 cups warm tap water
2 tablespoons quick rise instant yeast
3 tablespoons pure honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup corn oil
1 large egg
2 cups unbleached white flour
3 tablespoons wheat gluten

whisk ingredients well and place bowl into warm oven for 30 minutes to get the yeast working.

Let your cooked cereal cool, by the time the yeast has worked the 30 minutes.

3) Take the bowl out of the warm oven:

Add in the cooked cereal from step 1
Add 1 cup of whole wheat flour

Now whisk this all in good and thoroughly so the grains are all through the mixture.

Add 1 cup of unbleached white flour and work in good. I often put some oil on my hands after I have added a cup of flour so I can work it in good.

Then add in an additional 1-1/2 cups of unbleached flour, but only 1/3 cup at a time working it in good. By the time this flour is all worked in it should still be moist and elastic. You don't want it to be dry and crumbly. So it is important to add it in steps and knead it good. The 1-1/2 cups, may not be exact, so watch the dryness. Most of us bread makers, go by feel and texture of our bread. ;)

Place bread bowl in the warm oven for 45 minutes to raise.

4) Then, remove from oven:

Line a couple bread trays with parchment.

Oil your hands and separate in 1/2 the bread dough, then work each half in your hands. After working it, I fold the dough under, leaving the top of it smooth with the rough folds on the bottom of the loaf.
Now, place it in the parchment lined bread pans. Work the dough into the corners with your hands.
Place in the warm oven another 30-45 minutes. Watch it so the dough isn't more than an inch or so above the pan. It will rise more as it cooks later.

After raising, turn on oven to 350 and cook for 25 minutes.

5) Remove from oven and take out of pans by lifting on the parchment paper. Take some wax paper and apply some margarine to the hot bread and let cool for an hour. Remove the parchment and discard. Then fit in 12lb freezer bags.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

Your bread sounds real good Donk. It reminds me of the bread my brother made when I lived with him during college, only we had no white flour. The 12 grain flour was whatever he brought home from the food coop, and I ground it up altogether.  ::)  Without white flour the loaves were only a few inches tall and extremely dense. Actually your bread sounds much more refined and probably tastes better too!! 
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

Sounds great SD, next batch you make snap a couple of pictures for me.

You're right though, I don't have those ingredients locally that I'm aware of. I do make a muffin bread we use for toast but it's just plain old bread flour.

SwampDonkey

The 12 grain cereal could be a regional thing, and we can't buy it off the processed foods shelves, just the organic section, farm market or at the mill. You might find it if your store carries RedMill's products from Oregon. I use unbleached because that process takes away goodness, then they have to add nutrients. The label of enriched is because they destroyed the flour. ;)

A couple slices for toast this morning. Sliced the loaf on my slicer. ;D

It's a nice soft, moist bread. The added gluten helps hold it together because of the extra grains. The gluten is sold by RedMill's as well.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

Norm's Honey Muffin Bread

5-6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
ΒΌ cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
1 cup warm water (120 to 130 degrees F)
Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, honey, salt and baking soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Grease two 8-1/2-in. x 4-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. loaf pans. Spoon batter into the pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately to cool on wire racks.

We have this as toast for breakfast in the mornings. IT must be toasted, it is not so good eaten raw.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

I have a 2 minute video, but it's too large to upload on dial-up so I took some snapshots of the video and added them in.

Norm

Thanks SD, that bread sure looks tasty.

SwampDonkey

It is very good bread, I have never fed any to the ravens.  ;D

Magicman

SD, I see that you made a pot of coffee while the bread was baking.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Magicman I did yes, at the beginning of the process.

I finished off the pot with breakfast and did up the dishes by the time the bread was cooked. Also, the clothes wash'n was all done. All that stuff is usually done before daylight. I was then off to the shop. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!