iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly z series 24" planer, 14" table saw, 12" jointer, 37" sander

Started by Piston, August 18, 2013, 08:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

There is a guy selling all these tools that a friend of mine knows, sort of a friend of a friend of a friend. 

I can't really justify buying all of them as they seem like super heavy duty industrial pieces of machinery, but I'm sort of thinking about buying the planer, and possibly table saw if I can get a great deal on them.  He needs the stuff gone in 2 weeks and I don't think he's advertised a whole lot. 

Any ideas on what a good condition, grizzly 24" 3 phase planer with carbide cutters and single phase converter would go for?  I don't have any experience with this heavy duty type of woodworking tools. 

I'd also be interested in any thoughts on the 14" table saw, with autofeed.  Do these things hold their value like new, or do they lose it pretty quickly?  Should I expect to pay something like half the new value, or 25%? 

I can't say I have a "need" for these, but it sure would be nice to have a big planer like that.  Would I need a dust extraction system setup?  I think I'm a little out of my league with these big boy tools but I can't help but be interested  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Dan_Shade

you will be happy with that planer.  if you can still easily feed your family after buying it, I say go for it.

you'll probably need a converter too...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

A dust collector for the planer is a must unless you like swimming in wood chips.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Axe Handle Hound

In my opinion the most valuable piece of equipment in that list for the average woodworker would be the 12" jointer.  The planer is also nice, but 3 phase is going to require a converter and unless you're working with super wide pieces of wood all the time it's just overkill.  Same with the tablesaw.  A 14" saw is a super heavy duty piece of equipment and unless you rip 4" stock all the time it's just that many more teeth to cut your fingers off with.  Plus there's the cost of the knives in the planer and the blades for the tablesaw.  They really don't give those away.  If you really want to pick something up I say go for the jointer because you will regularly work with boards 12" and under and would be able to face joint them as the first step in stock preparation.  That same board could then be run through your portable 12" planer to give you truly flat stock that's easy to work with.   

Piston

Axe handle,
The Planer does have (and comes with) a single phase converter.  However, you bring up a good point with the jointer.  Would you have any idea what it may be worth?  I'm waiting for an email from the guy with pictures, model numbers, and hopefully his asking prices.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

scsmith42

A good price on the planer would be two to three grand.  For the 12" jointer, probably 1K or so - more if it has carbide inserts, less if it has a lot of wear.  If you work with rough sawn stock, I would definitely get both.

+100 on Danny's comments regarding a good dust collection system!

That 14" saw is about 12K new and typically used in a cabinet shop for cutting down sheet goods.  It would not be a first choice for a home shop unless you do a lot of plywood carework or straight line ripping.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Handy Andy

I've put some miles on a 14" table saw, it was a powermatic, but a very good saw for both lumber and plywood. You sure want to run a splitter,cause if that thing kicked a board back, it could throw a board through the wall behind you and through your pickup parked outside.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Piston

I really want to buy this planer, but the guy hasn't gotten back to me.  I've emailed him a couple times with no reply.  Maybe he changed his mind  :(
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!