Raised Bed Gardening.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, April 22, 2015, 10:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfcjr

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 24, 2015, 06:59:39 AM
Ann and I like ours.

Pretty slick...
Do the windows on the sides close up?
If they do, how early can you start things in the spring?

Peter Drouin

I do close it up for the winter and can get things started by 2# week of April.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishpharmer

Thanks Sandhils, good idea,pretty sure there is an old(nonclawfoot) tub around here too.   Wildbill, Peter and gww those are some mighty impressive raised beds.   

gww, is that a large solar panel in the background?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Den Socling

I was wondering the same thing. That looks like a very nice solar array.

gww

Hey guys, yes it is a solar aray.  I had to move away from here to get my last four years in so I could retire.  I built a bunch of panels and a few wind turbines.  The homemade panels were mostly a waste of time.  When I retired and we moved back my very first projects were the solar (5800 watts) another line of raised garden and the fence.  Four years of being gone and the deer thought they owned the place.
I must say it is good to be home.
gww

Den Socling

"a few wind turbines"? I'd like to hear more.

gww

den
My opinion, soler for the money is much better then wind except in extreely special circumstanses.  Solar is a loser also unless you get rebates back from the electric company and don't use batteries.  I however use batteries.  I was going to retire and figured if it saved me ten bucks a month it would be ok even if I spent pryor to that equal to a hundred a month to buy it.  Like all hobbies, even my chickens, cost something.  I say this before mentioning the turbines cause I don't want anyone misled.

I built two 500 watt turbines from a hugh piggot plan that was free on the internet.  I had built some others but nothing really worked out but these two.  I did have to and still have to make some adjustments to get them better.  One is better then the other cause the stator is a bit to strong for the 8 foot blades the plan calls for.  Even the plan creator agrees with this.  The one I have working the best now has 9 foot blades on it and is on a 80 foot tower.  The other one is still below the trees on a 40 foot utility pole.  I am in a really poor wind area but the grandkids like the ones that spin better then the solar.  I know this is a forest forum but I will post a picture anyway.

I built them mostly out of boredom and interest.
gww

Den Socling

That's pretty cool. You are obviously handy with tools.

gww

den
Perhaps you are missing my home built sawmill thread.  If you weren't missing it, you would have put a smily face at the end of that statement.
cheers
gww

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

I haven't read it. There is so much to read here. I guess you have a good sense of humor, too!

gww

den
I am living the dream,  I am retired and I am mostly doing things that interest me.
The only bad thing about being where I am is I have less time till death.  I don't worry about that cause my odds are as good now as when I was 20. 
cheers
gww

Weekend_Sawyer

Almost done. I have to finish putting in the deer netting around the other 3. Diane really likes them and that's what really matters.  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Roxie

Say when

fishpharmer

Weekend_sawyer, they look very nice!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ron Scott

~Ron

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Good job.  Deer complicate things for sure.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

But they sure do taste good!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!