iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BBQ/Smoked Deer

Started by Qweaver, November 28, 2016, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Years ago I slow BBQed the big muscle of deer hind quarters by stuffing them with fat bacon and smoking them wrapped for most of the cooking time at @220 deg.  I'm trying whole hind  quarters and shoulders  today.  I've cooked for 3 hours at 220+ deg and then sealed them in pans  covered with fat bacon strips and a can of beer.  I'll keep the heat below 200 for another 3 hours and check the smaller pieces for tender.  Fingers crossed here.
BTW this is a really good test for the BBQ/Smoker that I built last winter.  Being able to hold the temp below 212 is a real test of the firebox/damper design. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sawguy21

When is dinner being served? That sounds really good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

69bronco

I did a hindquarter a couple weeks ago. Boned and butterflied, hit with mont.stk and laid  strips of half cooked bacon inside then rolled and tied. Injected it with hot bacon fat and beef broth. Seared on hot grill, all sides then in crock pot with a bottle of wine for 5hrs. It was delicious! Next one I'm going to wrap in beef fat completely and tie up for the spit. It's hard to cook something that big and that lean.. Let us know how it comes out. Anyone else tried anything different?

Qweaver

We just pulled the deer off of the pit and the meat was tender and not too dry.  Better than I expected. Really great  flavor.   I don't know how well it will vacuum pack and freeze but I'll soon find out.  We had five people standing around the BBQ pit and they all gave it rave reviews.  The most tender deer I ever ate.  So this was just a test cook and I'm totally pleased with the result.  Wrapping the meat instead of sealing it in pans may have been even better.  I'll try that next time.   It took a total of 8 hours of cooking time and anymore would have been too much.  Having a great, controllable pit makes it easier.

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

drobertson

Its not really smoked, but good the same, either front shoulders, or rear hams, deboned, season as desired, I like cavenders original Greek for venison, jalapeƱos, or other peppers, onion wedges, covered with thick bacon, little beer or wine, of choice, couple chunks of butter,  double lined foil bag, sealed tightly,  low and slow, in the 225 range at least 4 hours, bag will puff up like jiffy pop! Let rest 30 min sealed, enjoy with rice or taters,  there will be a good au ju for whatever pleases your taste, original recipie is considered hot, on days of foul weather, the oven works too,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Weekend_Sawyer

A couple of months ago my buddy Wayne brought me a whole, bone in, hind quarter of venison.
I rubbed it with salt, brown sugar, cumin, cayenne and black pepper and put the whole thing in my 55 gal drum smoker for 9 hours. I had a pan of water under it and it was around 200 degrees. I used red oak for smoking wood. It came out very good. When we served it we just separated the roasts from the bone and sliced it up. Very tasty.

Normally when I butcher a deer I debone the hind quarter and separate the 3 roasts and clean them up removing any connective tissues and fat. So when I smoked the whole hind quarter I was afraid the left in tissues and fat would affect the taste. It didn't seem to make a difference.

Am I going to change the way I butcher deer? No. Will I turn down another hind quarter? No.

Final thoughts, venison is good.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

coxy

the only bad piece of deer meat I ever had was a 4in long piece of back strap warm and raw but I won the 50$ bet but spent most of the next day not going to far from the thrown  :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!