iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anchor seal alternatives

Started by Alexis, March 21, 2010, 03:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

Hello,

I would like to know if there is an alternative product for anchorseal. I have some freshly cut joint that I would like to protect as soon as possible and don't want to wait for a delivery. It's for a shed so apperance doesn't matter too much

thanks

Alexis

shinnlinger

Whatever you have on hand will do something.  Aluminum roof coating, tar, driveway coating or Melted Parafin. These 4 will probably work as well as Anchoreseal, but the first 3 can stain and hide end grain and the 4th can be a pain.  Polyurethane and old house paint will do something for you, but not as well.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Brad_bb

If you have a Rockler store in any proximity, they carry end grain sealer much like Anchor seal.  Maybe thick latex paint in a pinch?  I'd prefer the green wood end grain sealer though.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

witterbound

I've heard of folks using latex paint.

Raphael

We used to use bees wax to seal the endgrain on our bow blanks, it's a little nicer to work with than parafin.  I've also heard of people using old latex paint as well.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

submarinesailor

Quote from: shinnlinger on March 21, 2010, 08:17:10 PM
Whatever you have on hand will do something.  Aluminum roof coating, tar, driveway coating or Melted Parafin. Dave

Tried the aluminum roof coating and I think it sucks.  After trying several of the others, I cannot find anything that works as well as Anchorseal  - or one of the others like it.

Bruce

frwinks

latex paint works, but I like the clear/yellowish hue of the anchorseal on finished joints instead of green latex paint (which is all I had at the time :D)

Alexis

I'll try the latex paint, since I have some on hand. Does lindseed oil works? It would sure be prettier!

alexis

Brad_bb

No, don't think so.  You need to seal the capillaries of the endgrain.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

bub4e

If you have linseed oil, then use it, it is better than nothing.  If the end grain will be seen then it would be better than paint, just use multiple coats.  This really isn't rocket science, Anchorseal may work the best and be the easiest to apply, but if you don't want to spend the money or can't get it in time, then use what you have.   All you are doing is slowing the release of moisture.

Thank You Sponsors!