iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer blade tilt

Started by trickycoyote, February 06, 2019, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trickycoyote

Hi everyone, my first post here.

We have a 1992 LT-30 electric with 8000 hours. We just got it up and running recently. We had a woodmizer tech come out and help us get it adjusted and he said we should set the blade height an 1/8" higher at the outside than the inside guide. My manual doesn't say this. I've seen in another place to adjust it to 1/16" higher. 

Also, the tech said that the blade should be angled front to back but I can't find my notes about what he said. I think he said it should be 1/16" lower at the leading edge. I can't find anyone talking about this tilt so I'm a bit confused.

Any thoughts on either of these adjustments would be appreciated. By the way, the saw is diving right now. We milled about 1000 bf so far with few problems (ok, except for all the mistakes we made...) but after sawing into the log holder (oops) and changing the blade, the diving began.

Thank you!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, trickycoyote!

In the book for my mill (LT40) it says the tilt is to be adjusted to 1/16" higher on the idle side!

2/7/19 EDIT:  The adjustment I mentioned above is referred to as "Saw Head Tilt"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

And when I got mine I was shown how to make sure the blade was level with the bed of the mill when it enters the log, with no tilt. The height on the idle side is adjusted to be higher than the drive side. I use the blade guide tilt tool that came with the mill to check and adjust that. That is what my manual shows too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mike W

TrickyCoyote,

not sure about your specific model, i have the LT15 Wide mill by WM, its set up like WV Sawmiller mentions, using the blade alignment tool, blade is level with bed, no tilt.  My manual (again not specific for what your mill is) shows if issues with a non square cut in very large hard woods, to adjust the outside guide a 1/16" to 1/8" higher then the drive side due to the unit will have a tendency to pull down on the inside of the cut and makes the cut out of square or level.  I currently have the mill set up with no difference between the two roller guides and the deck.  the widest i have cut so far is 30" and the unit did not tilt down as the manual mentions it might under certain circumstances.

Sharp blades, proper tension, and proper down deflection on the roller guides would be the first few things i would look at and then have another try at some additional cuts.

Magicman

The horizontal blade guide tilt is probably what was referred to and is what is causing confusion.  This has nothing to do with the blade being absolutely level with the sawmill bed and the idle side being 1/16" higher than the drive side.

Proper terminology must be used or there will be confusion.  The owners manual shows the proper alignment procedure for the horizontal blade guide tilt as well as using the "blade guide alignment tool".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Part #LTBGAT. You can also buy a 1/8"x1" aluminum bar a couple of feet long and a rubber band.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!