iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM saw head tilt adjustment

Started by caveman, May 29, 2017, 10:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Yesterday, going through an alignment of our lt-28, when trying to adjust the saw head tilt to +1/16" on the idle side of the saw head by turning the nuts pictured (with blue zip ties for reference) the up/down movement of the saw head was very tight and seemed to be binding until the nuts were backed off, but then the saw head returned to level and did not retain the +1/16".  Are we missing something?  I think we were following the procedure properly.

Also, when checking out the blade guide rollers, we noticed that they were out of adjustment.  I vaguely remember a piece of wood coming unclamped and crashing into the drive side roller guide some time ago, evidently bending the mount.  We were able to shim it and get it back into specs.  Afterwards, while reading some of MartyParson's 84 pages of posts I learned that a socket and pipe or breaker bar can be used to bend the assembly back into conformity or a weld on repair can be purchased from WM (at least for the lt40's).

I know this should not be too difficult but I want to ensure that we are doing this right.  Thank you for your assistance.  Kyle
Caveman

fishpharmer

Caveman, I know little about LT28's. However, the roller guide assembly with the shim appears to be welded to the same steel plate as the sawhead adjustment bracket.  Is there a chance that plate could be bent or warped a tiny bit, causing the adjustment inconsistencies?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

caveman

Fishpharmer, yes, I think the bracket that holds the roller is bent a tad and we ran out of adjustment with the standard bolts to get the roller into specs so we added the shim.  The shim does allow the standard 3/8 fine threaded bolt to get the roller back to spec but had I read Marty's post prior to adding the shim, I would have attempted to bend the bracket back using a socket and an extension or a pipe.  In lieu of a shim, we could have used a slightly longer 3/8" fine threaded bolt but I did not have any on hand.

Another thing I am learning is that there are a lot of variables that affect the cut on a bandsaw mill.  That makes me realize that you and others who have built your own and produce consistant lumber must really have your acts together.

Caveman

Ga Mtn Man

What's on the opposite side of the mast from the rollers?  There must be a stop bolt or something to limit how far the head will lift.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

fishpharmer

Caveman, not sure you should accuse me of having my act together. ;D.   The success of my homemade mill was a DIRECT result of the advice I received from Tom (may he rest in peace), DanG, Customsawyer and many, many other forestryforum members.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

terrifictimbersllc

Yes check the stop bolts on the other side from the rollers
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

John S

I believe that you may be adjusting the wrong bolts.  The correct ones are on the lower roller assembly which you would access while lying on the ground!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Follow the steps in the manual.
Set up the mill with all the frame supports on the ground, common sense level. Front and rear leg must have weight on them.
I would remove the blade guide roller assemblies. Or adjust them so that they are not touching the blade.
Install new B -57 belts
Tighten the band. to proper tension.
Measure from the stationary bed rail to the band blade.
The bolts you have the blue ties would adjust the saw head tilt. There are limit studs on the other side of the frame.
Adjust blade guide arm. This is very different than a LT40 design.
once everything is adjusted to this point, then install the blade guide rollers and adjust them as the manual states.

Got to run.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Dozer_Man

I had this same problem on my lt35 the head was tilted about 5/8 low on the right side. I adjusted the bolts you show in the picture and the saw head was tight and would only go up and down slowly. Upon further inspection it was in fact the stop bolts against the mast on the opposite side of the saw head from the adjustment nuts. I adjusted those out to where they need to be and that fixed my problem. Seems like your saw head is the same as the one on my 35.
Brady Crabtree
Sawmill Bottom   '15 WM Lt35HD,  WM Pro Sawyer Network, 90 Chevy C50, 04 ram cummins, Stihl 362, 2008 Bobcat T180

John S

Listen to Marty,  I have an LT40 which adjusts differently!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

caveman

Thank you to all.  We will start over and do the alignment again.  This is not a bad thing as we need to become more familiar with all of the adjustments.  We really have not had to adjust much over the years to maintain nice cut quality.
Caveman

caveman

John and I went through the whole alignment process again this morning after removing the shim and bending the drive side roller guide post back into specs.  We were also cooking potatoes, beans, ribs, chicken, pulled pork and boiled peanuts.  Every time we would get frustrated with a step or one adjustment would throw another off, we would go check the grill.

Eventually we got it, loaded a water oak log on and slabbed it out.  The saw seemed to cut with less effort and seemed to be quieter than it has been lately. 

Again, Marty, thank you for your instructions.
Caveman

4x4American

Mmm that sounds like a good way to work
Boy, back in my day..

petefrom bearswamp

All but the boiled peanuts of course.
Glad you got er done.
That is why I send my mill to Hannibal every so often.
A few well spent dollars and no frustration.
I dont think you have the option of a close by service dealer tho.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Oh my, you got me craving boiled peanuts.  Thankfully there are some in the freezer that I will thaw out.  MMmmm!!!    food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Yup, I thawed out just enough for a good "bait".....

and put the zipbag back into the freezer for next time.  Better still, these is Georgia Peanuts!!  Boiled, frozen, and delivered to me by a true Southern Gentleman.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

If any of you boiled peanuts lovers get to the pig roast bring or boil some there  and show me how to eat them.
I will try to remain open minded.
The ones I have had were somewhat mushy and little flavor except salt.
Could be my being a Yankee has something to do with it.
Of course this is off topic but a favorite subject of much discussion.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

The problem is that the fresh boiling peanuts are not available that early in the season.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Boiled peanuts has to be one of those things that anyone needs to acquire a taste for!

Tried them, not for me!   Taste sort of like a ripe bean, uncooked!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

Quote from: Chuck White on June 10, 2017, 07:49:55 AM
Boiled peanuts has to be one of those things that anyone needs to acquire a taste for!

This is why we have a Mason-Dixon Line  ;D.

Magicman

John S

Had my first taste of the boiled peanuts last summer, pretty salty!  My 39 year old daughter (born and raised in NJ) loves them!!!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!