iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Production estimates

Started by rooster 58, June 06, 2019, 01:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

*2 on the resaw - well worth the money.  That is basically all my 35 is these days is a dedicated re-saw.  I did add on an infeed and outfeed skate roller table to each side so I can drop on 16' lumber and just walk away.  I make mountains of siding with mine.  This pile of logs will be mostly turned into siding. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

All of my sawing is portable, hence no edger nor resaw.  Not going to incur the expense nor be concerned with the moving/transporting.

Of course many of my business decisions are based upon my age and lack of interest in any business growth expectations.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Well maybe when you grow up there Magicman you will get serious about sawing.   :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

smiley_headscratch  Actually I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when if I grow up??   smiley_idea
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I always heard "You may have to grow old but you don't ever have to grow up." :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Do these WM resaws you speak about tilt for bevel siding ?
Anyone have a movie of one running or picture how it goes on the mill ?
How long does it take to in stall ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Yes they tilt, 10 minutes to install, I will take a video tomorrow of siding production.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

MartyParsons

Hello,
   We have good luck with the 7 Turbo blade on the smaller hp engine Wood Mizer. When they were first released WM suggested 35 hp or more. We sell many 25 hp mills and almost every new customer leaves with a box of Turbo blades. The deep gullet and the aggressive tooth design really make the mill shine. Slower feed rates do allow for wash board ripples, usually see at the beginning and the end of the cut. You may also find sawdust between the cut and again increasing feed rate will reduce or eliminate these issues. If you feel that you want to keep the feed rate at a lower pace you may want to try the 9 degree. Another tip is if you are constant cutting 24" or wider the 25 hp may not be strong enough to pull the 7 Turbo. 
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Southside

Here you go @Bruno of NH  Fair warning, if you get sea sick, don't watch this video. I had to take it with my cell phone while running the 70 and feeding the Re-saw. Brian is running the edger and stacking everything as it comes off. The 3rd guy decided it might rain today, so best not to come to work... >:(

Siding production
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

curved-wood

I would certainly check with the customer that he knows what he is getting into with all the steps, what are the spec of the moulder guy and his own requirements.  Is he going to take the heart, black knots, etc, ?   Yesterday my son and I just finish sawing 2,000 board feet of cherry for his moulding and inside doors, so we could optimized the run. A lot of steps for moulding : sawing, drying, edge resawing, 1st sizing planing, 2nd molding planing. We have  2 different uses of the run : the moulding (and the casing )  and the doors, so we have less waste because of the only one size 1x4 stuff, and propably a bit of left over will be sold.    But if the sawing was only for 1x4, I would add at least 25 % more time of sawing, and adding another 25 % of lost because of wider boards and other wood defect like bad knots and pit cracks, bowing etc. Your customer might end up of paying more than similar finish product. But all those hurdles might be perfectly OK with him. 

Thank You Sponsors!