iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Species?

Started by Magicman, June 11, 2019, 07:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I am building a bench and using this species.  I sawed the live edged slabs, so whatisit??

End grain.

End grain closeup.

Da sitting part.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

Looks like elm pores to me, slippery elm?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No, no, and no.

Here is the live edge bench slab.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

two tired

when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Nathan Harp

Magicman

Well, I made another reply, got a PM, and then lost it.  I'll make it again.  

If Nathan is saying what I think that he is saying, then he is correct.  ;)

Here is the bench, cookie backrests, and stretcher, all sanded but untrimmed.

I will have to get some serious advice about staining the cookies to prevent them from absorbing too much of the stain, but I will ask that question in the Woodworking board after this is correctly identified.  ;D

firefighter ontheside

Interesting about the confederate pin.  Learn something new every day.  I like this thread.  Using a thorn to pin your uniform together.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Hewer of Wood

1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

Magicman

Yes Honey Locust and here is where I sawed it:  Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling  It's been air drying since August 31th and "She who must be obeyed" declared that it was dry enough to make her bench.

I have never heard the term "confederate pin" before but it did sorta make enough sense to know what it was.  smiley_headscratch

@Don P , I was also surprised to see the wavy pores which is why I decided to put a "what is it" here on this board.   I was hoping that @WDH would fall for it but the only thing that you can catch him on is sap wood ERC and sap wood Walnut.  ;D

Nathan Harp

I like the clues and alternate names being thrown into the tree of the day thread, and thought a similar hint might work well here. 

I found the Confederate Pin name for the honey locust in some book years ago with a brief explanation. 
The thorns were used by confederate soldiers for their uniforms. 

I imagine those uniforms became quite tattered, missing buttons, etc by the end of the war, and for many veterans, that might have been their only shirt.  I recall the shirt had lots of those big buttons down the front.  A honeylocust thorn could thread through several holes from the top down, and a smaller branching thorn could would stop at the top hole holding it in place. 

Maybe true, or maybe a derogatory claim from the northerners about the poor shape of the confederate army?
Seems like a practical solution to me. 

those benches look good 
Have you ever put a UV black light to honey locust, or black locust. 
You will see yellow heartwood, and blue sapwood. 

Magicman

Interesting about the black light.

Thank You Sponsors!