iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wooden vs. Aluminium Greenhouse

Started by woodmarsh, March 01, 2016, 12:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmarsh

Hello, I'm after a bit of advice from growers out there who have experience using greenhouses and who can maybe tell me which kind they prefer and why. I can't say I'm a fan of the aluminium framed greenhouses that you generally see but I'm presuming they are cheaper and easier to construct. Personally, I'm a big fan of using wood wherever I can, providing its sensible to do so. Maybe there are other materials I can use that I haven't considered. I've seen some nice brick and wood combo greenhouses that look really nice but then I may as well just build a conservatory if I'm gonna start doing that. I suppose, what I want, is something that's not going to burn a ridiculous hole in my wallet but that does look nice and blends-in with the garden a little.

brendonv

I've installed one of those aluminum framed houses from farmtek. Maybe a 12x20 with the poly carb panels. Would never again. Collapsed from Snow a few years later.

My mom just replaced it with a cedar framed, poly carb house. So much sturdier. I wish I could of built it for her but no time. It was expensive.

Both were not for production but for hobby. 

The aluminum framed had to many nuts and bolts, just thought it was flimy and a pita to erect. I'm not sure if they have commercial grade that would
Be different.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

DDW_OR

do a search for hoop greenhouses.
use electrical sch 80 pipe. is UV resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+hoop+greenhouse
"let the machines do the work"

fishpharmer

Many of the commercial greenhouses are made of galvanized tubular steel. 
www.mortonproducts.com is the first that comes to mind. 

The "H" series greenhouse frames seem very economical.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

GAB

Purchased two 26' x 72' green houses.
Put up the first according to specifications and the first snowstorm bent the frame.
Put up the second one the following year and put 3' instead of 4' hoop spacing.  That one has survived but I lost 18' of length.
From my experience I say that a 4' hoop spacing for VT is too much.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

woodmarsh

Thanks guys, some great suggestions. I'll have a proper look through them tonight, really appreciate it.

thecfarm

We had a greenhouse business for a while. I built one out of wood,hemlock. I forgot how wide,20 feet wide? I came straight up four feet and just used a full 2X4 for the rafter. Seem like I went 4 feet on center too.Put the strapping on the bottom of the rafters and greenhouse plastic on top.I did kinda round off the where the rafters came together at the peak. I copied mine off from an old guy that had one up for 7 years and others for longer than that. He told me just open it up when not in use and let the air go through it. I never let the snowpile up on the roof either. Each storm it was cleaned off.
Peter Drouin has one out of wood too.
The snow has to be kept off the top of those hoop ones and also away from the bottom of them too. Don't let the snow slide off and pile up on the ground and push the sides in. Where I work has a hoop one. We are out there after each snow storm pushing the snow off the top and moving the snow from the side of the greenhouse each and every storm. The company has lost a couple greenhouses because they let the snow pile up. I also get any snow off the top before going home for the night,if it is snowing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

We looked at a small store bought metal framed one for my parents, after checking the max windspeed rating we decided to build a wood framed greenhouse. The greenhouse is located at the end of a lake on top of a hill and we often get several 50 to 60 mph wind storms a year, I don't figure the store bought one would have survived the winter.

The one we built is made with 4x4 wall framing sized to fit the 5 aluminum framed storm windows and a 36" aluminum storm door, with 2x4 rafters and VICWEST Palruf Clear PVC Panels on the roof and gable ends.

The rear (north) wall and space below the windows were covered with siding and a shelf was added to the front wall with bins to plant greens in so they would not have to bend over to the ground to tend them.

woodmarsh

We were originally looking at a lean-to aluminium frame greenhouse like the ones at this site but I think I'm going to go for something different.  I'm quite intrigued about the hoop style greenhouses that have been mentioned. We don't generally suffer bad with snow or wind particularly so that's not really an issue for us. I've seen some really nice wooden ones though and they look nice, will have to have a think. I really like the look of the one posted by Hilltop366, very cool design.

kyihcman

Bought my wife one for Christmas from harbor freight,please don't anybody make this mistake. JUNK
first the wife and kids putit together in the garage two weeks ago,then this past sat. I fixed the foundation for it real nice out of RR ties,carried it out screwed it down and sunday the wind destroyed it!!
I'm very picky what I buy from HF but this is by far the worst. $300!!!
lucky we have 90 days return,called the store manager and he said bring back even though we burned the truck load of packaging it came with.so I'm happy now.
next design will be an idea I got from a fellow when I went to look at a sawmill,he simply took and bent over these heavy wire panels they use for cattle pens and attached to 6x6 foundation then put foam pipe wrap on edges so not to tear the greenhouse plastic and put a old screen door in it.

GAB

kyihcman:
This is part of what you wrote; "I fixed the foundation for it real nice out of RR ties"
Question: Will the chemicals used in processing wood into railroad ties affect the plants you intend to grow?  Now I am assuming that you plan on growing plants in it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Howdy

For years have been lusting for a greenhouse and my favorite is the Growing Spaces growing dome. 

http://geodesic-greenhouse-kits.com/

My thinking is that a geodesic dome is perfect for wind, snow, and maximizing interior space vs building materials.  There is a lot of web information about domes so try thinking "out of the box" and give the idea a chance.

Peter Drouin

Wood for me.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!