iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air drying old cherry

Started by maple flats, April 30, 2005, 08:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

What is everyone's suggestion for air drying cherry? The logs have been on the forest floor in a high area about 10 years and now that I have a mill I am cutting to recover before it is all rotted. There is anywhere from an inch to 2.5 " rot on the outside but the rest looks remarkably good. I want to air dry it before trying to sell it. Do I put it in the sun or shade? Do the stickers need to be cherry to minimize staining or can I use hemlock? How high off the ground for the bottom of the stack is recommended? I will be making a stack about 30" wide and putting a piece of steel roofing of 37" over it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ianab

If the logs been down that long it will be pretty dry now anyway, just need to be stacked up for a while to complete the air drying.
How high of the ground? - 12" should be OK, you just need to let air circulate under the stack, and be up out of the grass / or dirt splattered by the rain.
Shade - I'd go for the shade with the hardwood.
Stickers - Anything as long as it's dry. Dry hemlock will be better than wet cherry.

Sounds like you have things under control  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

maple flats

Thanks Ian, that's about what I thought but knew there were much more experienced members out there.
Maple
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!