iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Processing Poles

Started by kderby, July 04, 2007, 03:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

I have an "opportunity" to mill 720 fence rails from 6 inch (15cm) poles.  The offering party has been milling them after modifying the dogs on his mill to bite securely at two inches.  I am considering setting up a re-saw table and moving the ten foot (3+ meter) poles through the blade rather than moving the blade and head through the clamped pole.

I have an LT40HD.  My immediate concern is safety.  I think I can keep away from the blade as we feed then pull the material.  I wonder how much force it will take to feed the material through the blade.

Any ideas?  I have seen some sled-type tables used for re-saw.  I want to know if they are functional or a big fight???

Thanks ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Haytrader

Arkansawyer had a setup he used to resaw with and even posted picture of it. It was quite a while back but if you do a little searching, I bet you can find it.
Haytrader

LeeB

You might try searching under siding. That's what he uses his set up for.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawmilllawyer

I believe it was the one where he described how he makes lap siding. Called it the Arky resaw or something like that. Hope this helps. Andy.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Furby

Hard part is keeping the pole from twisting as it is pushed through and ending up a mangled mess.

twobears

what are you sawing them into?? say 4x4's or more like split rail fence??

delbert

kderby

He has been ripping 6 inch tops into three inch rails with a wedge that gets tossed.

I am going to say no thanks.

I like the idea of utilizing small diameter material.  I am not in a good position to be experimenting with hand me down customers.  He already has a system and it works (the customer is satisfied).  I think this is his deal and I'll work to find my own.

I do want to try one of those sled set-ups someday.

Thanks Y'all 8) 8) 8)

ARKANSAWYER

Here is the "ARKY resaw".  For round post like you are talking about I would make the bed a "V" and push them through nose to tail.  If you were going to still do it you could split about 60 pecies an hour or just 30 whole poles making 60 sides and 30 wedges.  If you were cutting them about 2 inches deep, them turning should not be a problem.
  Sorry I am late on this, just for refferance.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!