iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what to do ctl or hand cut

Started by ABTS, September 13, 2014, 09:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHP Logging

Size of the timber is really going to be it. If the pulp count outnumbers the board footage its pretty tough to make money hand cutting.  Also unless you are hand cutting a [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] ton of pulp everyday it will be tough to keep a truck around to haul your pulp. Trucking is usually available for logs from the mills. Getting rid of that *DanG pulp can be old.  I would keep the truck and buy a forwarder if the size of the wood is right.  I have guys tell me all the time, they wish they could sell their equipment and buy an older forwarder and some saws. Skidders are kind of limited down here when crops are on the field.  Most farmers don't want to give up the room anymore for a landing.  You don't need much with a forwarder.  That said I'd could really use a smaller cable skidder from time to time. In the end I would guess your take home pay is going to be close to the same with a lot less headaches and probably less hours in at the job. You have to have decent sized timber though.  Hand cutting mostly pulp is slow starvation.
Buckin in the woods

ABTS

My brother and I have thought long and hard about the options . would be nice if fuel prices would drop more or the rates went up to reflect the add cost . When we first bought the truck fuel was a buckand a half cheaper. They add on a percentage but that doesn't cover it . We will probably keep both and try to buy a forwarder . I thank all for the food for thought !

deastman

If you bought a forwarder to go with the processor then you would have the whole operation including the truck and you could buy your own stumpage and lots. Sometimes it hard to make money subbing for someone else.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

ABTS

That is what I would like to do . Than at least I am getting all the benefits from the sale . I know other headaches come with it.  But why do work for someone else.

Thank You Sponsors!