iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you eat your grits?

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 19, 2016, 06:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angryreb

Butter, Salt & Pepper to taste!!  But I was born too far north for my own good! You 

Angryreb

You might not like them, but that is your loss!!

samandothers

This sure does make me hungry!   Was in Savanah Ga for a couple days this week and had some very tasty shrimp and grits.

Glad this thread came back up.   GAB did you ever try to make those grit corn meal rolls in maple syrup?

Magicman

How 'bout a plate of Yellow Grits with two Fried Eggs on top with a side of Oak Nut Bread and Blackberry Jelly.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: samandothers on February 22, 2019, 11:40:08 PM
This sure does make me hungry!   Was in Savanah Ga for a couple days this week and had some very tasty shrimp and grits.

Glad this thread came back up.   GAB did you ever try to make those grit corn meal rolls in maple syrup?
No, cause I do not have any grits.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

BradMarks

AZ_builder

Ive only eaten grits a few times in my life, not a popular thing here I guess? The corn bread however, I eat it like it's going outa style!! I mix strips of green chili in the batter and too with a bit of cheese. Cast iron of course.

sawguy21

Here liberal politicians are referred to as grits, completely inedible. ;D I really like corn bread with maple syrup.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

I like them with more than a smidgen of butter, salt and pepper. She's trying to cut back my butter and salt rations, the new eclectic pepper grinder got here today, it even has a headlight :D. Not sure what's gonna happen when they declare pepper bad.

lxskllr

Grits are good. I don't often make them at home, but I look forward to traveling south, and having someone else make them for me. Makes them more special when I don't have them all the time. I'm /just/ outside the grit belt, so I don't have to travel far. Salt/pepper/butter is all they need.

Chuck White

I don't have them very often, but when I do I like a glob of butter and some salt & pepper!

Lynn's pic in post 53 looks like something I'd eat!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

They should have already been properly salted during the cooking process but it is okay to add a little more if you like. I never add pepper but nothing wrong with that. The gob of butter is the proper additive! You have that down pat!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

If you all are in Wichita, Ks and desire fine dining, this is on the menu!!!

I would add the bacon!!!   musteat_1 food6 sketti_1 smiley_beertoast usflag
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

AZ_builder

I'd just add it all!! Incase I didn't like the grits lol lol lol 

thecfarm

I all ready said something once,but doc,I do hope fine dinings don't go with grits. ::) I have been fine dining a few times,grits was not on the menu. The tip was more than what I paid for any meal.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

could just get the side of bacon and, as they used to say, "kiss my gritts!"
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Dave Shepard

That French toast doesn't looks good, but they're going to have to cook that egg. Not sure why they want to charge extra for all that extra stuff, grits by themselves provide plenty of traction on ice just the way they are. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doc henderson

nice to see a collaboration of north and south ending up in the center of the country!!  bourbon maple syrup!

GAB

If you are looking for bacon you need to consider TONY'S in Birch Run, MI.
They cook a lot of bacon every day.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

twar

So there is more than one way to eat grits? I never knew :D...butter, salt and pepper, and whatever else that "leaks" from the surroundings (sirup, jam, bacon fat). (And BTW - yellow grits instead of white, though this is disputed in my family.)

WV Sawmiller

I'm with you on the yellow vs white grits being better. I am the same with corn meal or tortilla chips. Yellow has more flavor.

BTW - where do you find them in Norway? I worked a project in Kristiansand for 2 years and never saw any there. I finally found oatmeal but it was over in the baking area instead of the cereal section.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

twar

I don't find them in Norway. I stock up whenever visiting family in N.C. The security folks at the airport in Charlotte say they see grits in people's bags every day.  :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: twar on February 26, 2019, 08:57:09 AM
I don't find them in Norway. I stock up whenever visiting family in N.C. The security folks at the airport in Charlotte say they see grits in people's bags every day.  :D
I am not surprised, but they do have Rommegrot and I find that much better (apologies to my friends of the southern persuasion). Can't get that stateside and I miss it a lot. It's been too long.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Texas Ranger

With: 
Ingredients

• 1 pint heavy whipping cream
  • 1 cup flour, divided
  • 3 cups whole milk, heated
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • Cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and melted butter, for serving

Rommegrot, all you left out is the grits.  Kill the flour and use grits.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

gshd1

You can find this book on Amazon. Book contains 135 Grit recipes.

Thank You Sponsors!