iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mystery wood

Started by 5quarter, November 04, 2019, 03:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5quarter

I came across some interesting wood while clearing a building site near Arlington, NE last week. Here are a few pictures:

Here is a pic of the bark...I don't know yet if this piece is a section of the main stem or branch wood. this piece is about 9" diameter.

Here is a cross-section of the log. annual rings are very fine (maybe 20 rings per inch) though the photo does not show that detail. The log, though very small, is very heavy. note the volume of heart wood vs the small ring of sapwood. I have never seen heartwood like this.
   Needless to say, I had to saw it right away ;D

I honestly don't know where to begin...The only wood that it really resembles that I'm familiar with are Padouk and perhaps indian rosewood, neither of which is a possibility. This tree grew in the middle of a forest, literally in the middle of nowhere, so likely not an invasive species. it smells vaguely spicy and saws much harder than bur oak. any help at all would be really helpful.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Ianab

Indian Bead tree / Chinaberry - Melia azedarach ?

It's a naturalised / invasive in some parts of the US, but the wood is useful and dries pretty well. Can be used for furniture etc. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Yup, if I found that on my property it would be Elm.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

LeeB, Magic...I'm fairly confident that this is not an elm, though the bark has some similarities. I've cut american, red, rock and siberian elm and none have even remotely resembled this wood...although if this is a type of elm, I am now it's biggest fan :D :D.
Ianab...I don't know if Chinaberry can grow around here. the wood has some sililarities, but the bark is completely different from my log. I am really hoping that whatever it is, it is fairly a common, overlooked  tree and not some aberration that I'll never see again.  :( 
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Southside

I am in camp elm as well. Do you have a piece you can try splitting? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

If not elm, maybe coffee tree.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

My judgement was by the bark only and a closeup of the end grain will eliminate Elm.  No waviness, no Elm.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ponderosae

Quote from: 5quarter on November 04, 2019, 03:46:37 PM
I have never seen heartwood like this.

Walnut looks hearty too ...

Lots of different logs appear to be similar this way, just looking at pics.

Red cedar is kind of wavy like the mystery wood ...

I'm obviously "stumped" lol

ponderosae

As a narrower process of elimination, you might want to look at Trees to Plant in Nebraska... still lots of trees there though.

Don P

Coffee tree is like black locust, a very narrow band of sapwood ~3-5 rings wide. I'm with the other guys get a clean slice on the end grain and look for elm's wavy grain.

5quarter

Thanks for all the input guys. The elms have it...as much as I wanted to believe otherwise, the end grain tells the tale. here is an excellent end grain photo of Siberian Elm, taken by our friend over at Hobbithouse-inc:

And here is an end grain photo of the mystery wood after blow drying and sanding the end:

It could not be more obvious. when enlarged, the two photos are indistinguishable :( ::)

When I first saw the logs, I was really taken aback by the gorgeous orange/red heart. The siberian elm that I normally cut or split is more brown and tan when wet and quickly lightens up as it dries. It's still nice looking lumber, but nothing to get excited about. I was really hoping that I had come across something special, but there it is; nothing out of the ordinary. Thanks to all you guys for your help, especially Magic, Lee, southside and Don for not letting my enthusiasm sway your opinion.  ;)
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!