iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Donor wheel hub ideas for a log arch?

Started by Delawhere Jack, March 18, 2014, 04:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Good

One thing I never thought about when building mine is height at the arch , best to keep it low if you can if you have lots of side hill work for it . Mine might be a little tall . And I need to fix the twisted hitch on my quad . And fish the arch out of the holler ! Tom's looks a fair bit shorter than mine . Lol . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Larry

Quote from: Red Good on March 22, 2014, 08:34:28 PM
One thing I never thought about when building mine is height at the arch , best to keep it low if you can if you have lots of side hill work for it . Mine might be a little tall . And I need to fix the twisted hitch on my quad . And fish the arch out of the holler ! Tom's looks a fair bit shorter than mine . Lol . Red

I built my arch some 15 - 20 years ago.  It looks similar to the one MM built.  Skidded some monster logs with it and a lot were in steep country.  After a few experiences when I first started using it, I would never even consider using it on side hills.  With a quad its 10 times more dangerous.  Just too many ways to get in trouble on side hills and it happens fast.  That log is like a swinging pendulum if not secured just right. Trust me on this one.

Straight up and down hills (maybe not down with a quad) and level there a great low cost machine.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

36 coupe

Quote from: Red Good on March 22, 2014, 08:34:28 PM
You should have a hitch where the draw bar can rotate and not put a twisting  force on the tow vehicle.Most arches I see are too high.My arch is just high enough to keep a 30 inch log off the ground.My mill sets that limit any way.Most kids know that top heavy home made carts tip over easy.My arch cost 200.00 to build 10 years ago.It has splayed legs that make it more stable that a straight leg cart.A ready built arch would cost 2000.00 at the time I built mine.

dgdrls

Perhaps Early Ford N series spindle  (not sure of the working load)  lots of them out there
Or any medium duty tractor front spindles and wheels??
DGDrls

36 coupe

Quote from: thecfarm on March 22, 2014, 07:30:03 PM
36 coupe,you are kinda right. But I have ALOT of stuff that I have collected over the years. If I can spend $20 on wire for my welder instead of $1000 for something,the $20 wins out. Most times I don't either bother to paint my projects. Now if I was selling some of my projects,I would put the paint to them.
I found that some projects never got built if I waited til I found the right scrap.Every thing I build gets a coat of zinc oxide primer and some red or green enamel later.Just think what your band mill would  look like without paint.Nice orange rust on all the welds.Not much scrap left since the price went up.

thecfarm

How right you are. But Thomas started with new steel,nice and shiny. My steel is all rusted by the time I get my hands on it. I use to get some from the dump and where I use to work. I would go buy steel if I did not have what I needed. I would not know how to act with new steel.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Some folks even use whacked off outriggers.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Anderson

Just two more cents for you :D

I built a arch for towing with my ATV which only weighs 400 lbs so I was not too worried about the axle stubs breaking.....More worried about the light tow mobile ;D

I tried the junkyard but ended up going with a new Made in USA (Very Important to me) Trailer stub axles,hubs, and bearings package I found on Ebay...   $90 bucks as I recall.

Now I would like to second or third or fourth or fifth the idea of trailer brakes on the arch as I have tried to pull stuff way too heavy for the Atv to stop...... :o ::)

It's always wise to consider the pucker factor. :D       

Thank You Sponsors!