iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Charging for custom pieces

Started by Breezybrzez, July 24, 2023, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breezybrzez

Good evening all, 

So I recently agreed to cut some custom dimension wood for a coworker at my full time regular job. He is in need of some full dimensioned 2x material for a project and I happened to have some logs that fit the bill at home of my own. I have only really ever sawn hourly using customers logs and I'm just curious how you fellas that sell lumber figure your pricing out. (for selling the wood and sawing charge) 

I should note these are fresh off the mill not dried yet and they are cut to the best of standards (thanks to what I've learned from this forum) 

I know that custom sizing should come at a premium but don't wish to rob the coworker at the same time either.

Thanks in advance for any input!

doc henderson

sell them the log, and then charge by the hour, or however you normally charge.  If they are a buddy, then round down a bit if all goes well.  When I do that, I usually get a tip anyway.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Breezybrzez

That's a very simple yet easy to understand way to look at it! Thanks

Ianab

Yeah, if it's a $100 log, and you would normally charge $100 to saw it... Then it's bring your trailer and $200. If it's a good mate, $150?  If he's a good mate, he will give you $200, or barter with something you do want. 

Seen the price of eggs lately?  They are a trade-able commodity.  ;) I've got lumber, what you got to trade? 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

Why not just sell it by the bf? Its just as easy to figure a price by the bf as for the log (actually easier because you have the exact yield and time involved.)

I have a couple of species on my place (Tulip poplar and Norway Spruce) I will go harvest and saw on demand and if the customer is real nice and catches me in the right mood I might go cut down a maple or buckeye or even a cherry or such.

I rarely saw dimensional sizes and saw mostly full dimension lumber for my customers but this year I have sawed 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1-3/4" and probably a few more sizes. I charge by the square foot for under 1" thick (same as 1" thick) and by the bf for the rest. I charge by the actual dimension cut. Some people charge by ranges with 1.5"-2" the same. All charging methods are fair as long as both parties understand and agree before and sawing is done.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

I'd probably bill by the hour, as it's a non-standard size you can't get at the big box lumber store.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!