iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Split blades for WM EG200 Edger

Started by customsawyer, September 05, 2019, 03:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

If you are interested in getting some split blades for a WM edger here is where I ordered mine from.
The Sharp Tool Co. INC ph.  978-568-9292 The part number is STCSM35018CNH. The blade description is Super Strob 350X.110X3.057X18. Pinholes: 4ph, .415 on 3.75 BC Kerf .167, Hook 25°, Style Flat.
I tried posting this yesterday but when I went to add pictures it all went away. I will add a picture in a reply.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

This was the original blades

This is the new blade

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Your the man,  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Thank you, thank you.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

nativewolf

it is such a better design it makes you wonder why they don't ship that way.
Liking Walnut

PAmizerman

@customsawyer 
Have you had a chance to try them out?
Are they working good for you?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

customsawyer

They are installed and will be test run in about a hour.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

APope

Seems to me that the original blades could be cut apart after their removal.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

customsawyer

Ran them for about a hour yesterday. They make bigger sawdust and the edge of the lumber isn't as smooth. Going to do some checking as to what is the cause of that and see if I can fix it.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Quote from: customsawyer on September 06, 2019, 06:54:44 AM
Ran them for about a hour yesterday. They make bigger sawdust and the edge of the lumber isn't as smooth. Going to do some checking as to what is the cause of that and see if I can fix it.
It will be interesting to see if you can get them smooth.  I don't see how a split blade could be hammered in a way to keep the outer rim in tension while it's running.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Peter Drouin

I just want to thank you for the work you put into this blade thing. Good job.  smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

nativewolf

Quote from: scsmith42 on September 07, 2019, 12:52:50 PM
Quote from: customsawyer on September 06, 2019, 06:54:44 AM
It will be interesting to see if you can get them smooth.  I don't see how a split blade could be hammered in a way to keep the outer rim in tension while it's running.
I'm no expert but have been following the issue of split edger blades..several other use them so I suppose it is working but I am interested to hear others input: is there a tension issue on split blades?
Liking Walnut

customsawyer

I've ran them for years on all of my edgers in the past. Never had any problems with them. The stationary blade was cutting fine. It was just the moveable blade giving me some tear out. I removed it and cleaned the area that it seats to. Ran some 2" thick kiln dried white oak through it yesterday and it did fine. When I was getting the tear out was on green pine. I'll run some more of that this coming week and we will see.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

Ran a bunch of green pine through it today. Zero issues.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Quote from: customsawyer on September 13, 2019, 08:11:03 PM
Ran a bunch of green pine through it today. Zero issues.
Great!  Thanks for sharing this lead.

customsawyer

Scott you mentioned earlier about hammering the split blades. I think due to the size of the mandrel that they go on and that they aren't but 14" total diameter, it is a mute point. I'm no blade expert but in my small mind that is how I'm looking at it. If you notice in the pictures they still run strobes on them to keep everything in order. I have some on my Cooks edger that are 14" and no strobes. I don't have any problems with them either.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Quote from: customsawyer on September 15, 2019, 11:57:10 AM
Scott you mentioned earlier about hammering the split blades. I think do to the size of the mandrel that they go on and that they aren't but 14" total diameter, it is a mute point. I'm no blade expert but in my small mind that is how I'm looking at it. If you notice in the pictures they still run strobes on them to keep everything in order. I have some on my Cooks edger that are 14" and no strobes. I don't have any problems with them either.
Jake, what you're saying makes perfect sense.  Glad that you opened up this topic; in the future as I wear my current blades out I'll look for some split ones.

PAmizerman

A big thank you to @customsawyer  I got my new split blades installed Saturday and they are working great. Thanks for taking the time to get everything together and share. I'm actually looking forward to having to change them next time :D 
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

I just wanted to do an update and bring this back to the top for any new guys. 

The split blades are working great. I changed them out this morning and was done in 25 minutes. Here are a few pics of all that is needed. 

A 5/16 Allen wrench
A stubby wrench 
A piece of scotch Brite 
And a specialized tool that I will sell for a reasonable price. (8" long stick) 

Insert the stick and break all the bolts loose and remove. Clean the faces of the collar with the scotch Brite and insert new blades. 

Insert stick between keyway and feed roller and tighten. 

Here is where the stubby comes in handy. After they are broken loose with the big wrench the stubby speeds up the removal and tightening. 

I like to remove the stationary blade first. Then change the movable blade. Then insert the stationary blade. If you do the stationary blade first you will most likely slice up your forearms when you do the movable blade. 

It's that easy. Hope all this is helpful. 
The best part is you get to save all your grown up words for when you are having a bad day and something breaks 😂
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

PAmizerman

Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

customsawyer

Any place that sharpens circle saw blades, gang saws and such should be able to sharpen these split edger blades. WM is the only edger I have ever seen that came with a solid blade.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

PAmizerman if you hook that stubby up to a air ratchet it will speed the process up even more. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bruno of NH

Quote from: customsawyer on December 12, 2021, 07:12:54 AM
PAmizerman if you hook that stubby up to a air ratchet it will speed the process up even more. ;D
Or a right angle cordless ratchet  ;D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

PAmizerman

If only I had such a tool. 
Maybe with practice I can get it down to three minutes like a nascar tire change 🤣
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

customsawyer

You can use it on a regular ratchet and just make the sounds with your lips. :D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!