iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burning the frame. Preparing for rising...

Started by nebruks, May 13, 2012, 04:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

WOW!

What craftsmanship, what time commitment!  Great video and enjoyed the pictures of the family sprinkled in to help show the reasons for the home. The age of the girls also gave some idea of the time. 

Thank you for sharing.

robmelby

Great Video! very inspiring. I have two covered porches that I plan on installing new porch flooring this spring. I'm going with WO 4/4x6 rough sawn. At first I didn't know how I wanted to finish the floor (paint or stain/seal). After seeing the video on Shou-Sugi-ban it peaked my interest. I've done some research and have only seen it done on siding. Does anybody have any knowledge on this technique being used on porch flooring ? Also does it raise the grain and would I torch all four sides?

Thanks for your consideration,
Rob

fishfighter

To me in that video, it looked like it did raise the grain of the wood. Kind of burn off in between the growth rings of the wood. I like it a bunch and I'm thinking if I could do it with timbers already raised, building already closed it. I might do it. Would have to have a fire watch, I guess. ;D

WLC

WOW!  Well worth watching that video.  Amazing craftsmanship!
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

frwinks

wow, Nebruks, my hats off to you sir.  After doing just a couple of crucks and about a dozen braces, I had enough  ;D  To do siding on your entire house....just wow smiley_thumbsup_grin
The process definitely raises the grain, here is a shot of what it did to a 300 year old chunk of doug fir

fishfighter

I wonder if one could get away using a drill with a wirewheel? Going to give that a try once things dry up around here on some scrap lumber.

Chilterns

Hi,

I have followed this thread with some interest and yesterday I was fortunate to observe first hand a very simple demonstration by Professor Terunobu Fugimori in which he produced charred planks using nothing more than a newspaper, some wire and a match.

I have posted some photos of this process] illustrating how this is achieved.

Chilterns

Chilterns

Howdy

I have just watched this video and with tears streaming down my cheeks I understand the true beauty of craftsmanship.  I will never have the experience of building my own home (not house) nor will I ever be able to create something so meaningful with my own two hands and this makes me sad for my loss. 

The wonder of taking trees God has provided us from standing timber to logs and crafting necessary building materials that with skill culminate into a structure resplendent in artistry and strength.  Seeing how this results in a dwelling that embodies the witness of a strong family and humanity is truly a wonder to behold.

The video is first rate as well as a delight to listen to.  Thank you for posting this to share.

Daburner87

Instead of brushing with scotch brite or a steel brush and getting all that black dust everywhere how would power washing work?  I feel like on the right preaaure it would work perfectly and put out no dust.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Don P

By what means are people thinking charring is altering or protecting the sound, uncharred, unchanged, plain ol nekkid wood just below the scorched surface  ???. As a finish it is aesthetically appealing, as a preservative I suspect most of the hype is pure flippin magic.

DeerMeadowFarm

Awesome video! It took me a year to build my home using purchased materials and modern power tools while working a full time job. Hats off to these young Northmen!

Prizl tha Chizl

Quote from: Don P on August 07, 2022, 12:25:11 PM
By what means are people thinking charring is altering or protecting the sound, uncharred, unchanged, plain ol nekkid wood just below the scorched surface  ???. As a finish it is aesthetically appealing, as a preservative I suspect most of the hype is pure flippin magic.

Doesn't that rot and bugs have to get in there somehow? I'm not the woods scientist you are, but I always figured that charring helped by making an inhospitable surface for microbes and such to gain purchase upon. Maybe wouldn't do much for you if you set the wood in the dirt, but I can't see why it wouldn't help exterior surfaces up off of the ground. Boracare doesn't soak in too deep either, but we seem to trust that stuff to help keep the nasties at bay.
"The Woods Is My Church"

Thank You Sponsors!