iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

butcher block counter top

Started by sandsawmill14, December 12, 2015, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

my first glue up / screw up (time will tell i guess) :D  is a 6' x 2' counter top and i am wondering if polyurethane will be ok to seal it or if it needs different what do you guys think ???  i havent got pics yet but will later tonight or tomorrow :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

yukon cornelius

I am no finishing expert but we use poly on all our tables and such. the guys here will point you in the best direction though.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

brandonward6

lowes sells an oil and bees wax polish that works great would recommend an oil and no stains or urathanes or varnishes would go with an all natural food safe finish. if you are working in a workshop where its cool , I would take it inside and let the wood acclimate or you will get separation, learned that the hard way

beenthere

If it is a countertop to be used with knives like a butcherblock, then no poly IMO.
You will want something that won't scratch or chip from knife use.
The end use will dictate the finish.

Look forward to the pics.

brandonward
If you click on your forum name, you will go to where you can put your location in your profile. It will help when reading your posts, as I am sure when you read others' posts, their location helps you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandsawmill14

it is going to be just a counter top if this one works out the next one will be about 10' long with the sink in it. any cutting will be done on a cutting board. but it will get wet and stuff spilled on it, just wondering what would prevent staining and be food safe ???

Carpenter

You can get a nice finish for your counter tops with polyurethane.  Urethane is one of the three main varnish resins used, so polyurethane is basically a varnish.  It is distinguished from other varnishes because it is one of the toughest available.  Some people complain about it looking like a film of plastic over the wood, but basically all the film finishes are in the end a layer of plastic over the wood.  Polyurethane however in my experience sometimes flakes off, I think this is due to it often being too thick in the can and applied too thick, and as it is a very hard tough resin I think it doesn't flex with the wood and so can flake off eventually.  That being said, I've finished a lot of woodwork with polyurethane with good results.  I saw a guy on a you-tube video do a wet sanded polyurethane finish that I have been meaning to try.  He mixed the poly with oil 50/50 from what I recall, and wet sanded it.  The wet sanding fills the pours of the wood, he was demonstrating this on an oak table, and mixed with the oil, would give a longer open time, and prevent a super thick finish, which is what gives the polyurethane a plastic look.  So, I think he may be on to something.  From what I've read also, most wood finishes, if not all wood finishes commercially available now, are food safe after they cure.  So, the "food safe" finish recommended for butcher blocks and such, is mostly marketing. 

Kbeitz

I was told the best is two part epoxy clear coat.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

heres what it looks like  :) havent sanded or sealed it yet but will work on it more tonight

21incher

looks good. Tule peak knows alot about finishing counters with epoxy. You may want to ask him. I used poly on the butcherblock tops that I made and it is standing up good.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

Nice ambrosia maple.  I would use 100% pure tung oil mixed 50:50 with clear 100% mineral spirits. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

I'm on the penetrating oil wagon. I personally don't like film finishes like poly for a food contact surface, because if and when that film is broke through, moisture and bacteria can get trapped between it and the wood. "Penetrating" oils don't make as much of a film on the surface, and they soak into the wood more or less. I like walnut oil, tung oil, and beeswax+mineral spirits in no particular order.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sandsawmill14

thanks guys i will look into it.
WDH i have tung oil finish but couldnt get pure tung oil without ordering off the net. would it work or is it toxic after it dries ???

WDH

Tung oil finish is an oil + varnish mix, usually linseed oil, not tung oil.  It is not the same as the 100% pure tung oil, and yes, you do have to order it off the net.  Here is where I get it. 

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/products/oils/tung-oil-wood-finishes/
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandsawmill14

ok thanks is that the same mineral spirits you use to thin paint ???

WDH

Yes, but must be the clear 100% mineral spirits, not that milky paint thinner stuff.  The milky stuff will not work. 

sandsawmill14

smiley_thumbsup thanks im new to this finishing / woodworking stuff and really appreciate the help :)

WDH

It the most challenging part of woodworking. 

lowpolyjoe

good info in here.  thanks for sharing

redprospector

Quote from: WDH on December 15, 2015, 07:59:24 AM:D
It the most challenging part of woodworking.

It is the most challenging part of woodworking, but it's addictive. After you make the decision to put on a good hand finish, about half way through you may say, "What was I thinking?".  :D When it's all done, and you step back and look at it...You're ready for the next one.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sandsawmill14

wdh how much of the tungs oil will i need to buy ??? 1 counter is 6' long 2' and the other is about 10' x2.   what is the difference in the dark tungs oil and the regular? does it need to be waxed after im finished to seal or im i done when it stops taking the oil ?  i checked the website but had these questions before i ordered :)

WDH

Since you can re-oil every 6 months or so to renew the finish, probably best to get a gallon.  Mixed with clear mineral spirits at 1:1, that should last you for a long time.  I am not sure about the dark tung oil, never used it.  I suspect it will give a darker finish.  Waxing with a food safe wax like beeswax should really finish it off well. 

sandsawmill14

ok thanks  i will get it on the way smiley_thumbsup

LeeB

The oil finish will provide little if any water protection for a countertop with a sink in it. Something to consider.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!