iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Counter top finish

Started by wiersy111, December 07, 2016, 07:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiersy111

I am thinking about making live edge counter tops for my wife. I haven't started anything at this time so I don't know what species yet even. What kind of finish is on the market that would best protect the counters?

Just so everyone knows I am not a novice in the cabinetry field. I have worked for a couple of high end cabinet/ custom furniture makers for close to twenty years. And have done a considerable amount of smaller work from my own shop.
Stihl 660
Stihl 044
Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodweasel

ozarkgem

Famwood Glaze coat. See pics of the walnut coffee table in this post.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

scsmith42

Most professionally built restaurant tables are finished with post catalyzed conversion varnish.  It does not have the "plastic" look that epoxy has.  It is a spray finish that requires respirators and a paint booth.  Usually a layperson cannot buy it.

Be sure to finish all sides and with a similar number of coats of finish; otherwise the slabs may cup.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

wiersy111

For something as high traffic as a countertop I don't know if the epoxy will hold up. The cabinet/ furniture shops I have worked for used Lacquers and Conversion Varnish but I don't know that they would hold up to everyday kitchen use. Most finishes I have experience with are durable however not scratch proof. I am wondering if there is a flooring product that would be more suited the the use of a counter.
Stihl 660
Stihl 044
Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Kbeitz

Epoxys is what is used for most beer bars. It holds up very well.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!