iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Affordable attachment for knuckleboom to pick up logs

Started by jovol, February 07, 2021, 11:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jovol

Howdy, I pickup in a 95 f800 with a knuckleboom, and looking for an easy way to pick up the logs without using slings/chains. I was thinking These quad log tongs would do, but I don't know if they're "5000lbs" rating is for skidding or lifting. Don't want to waste $250 on something that's not going to be safe, so looking forward to y'all's suggestions. 

Thanks,
John
2017 LT50 wide, stihl ms362 & ms660, echo cs7310, Logrite fetching arch, 2000 New Holland LS180, Ford 6.0, kubota L48, kubota KH-70, Ford F800 8.3

mike_belben

If youre in a mess of logs that will break a double tong, youll soon have the money for a real loader.  Buy it and if a log now and then looks iffy chain that one. 
Praise The Lord

grabber green

Tongs have loaded a lot of logs over the years . As for safety ,they will come loose ,just don't swing the load over anything you don't want smashed.

jovol

Aye, thanks for the validation. I figured they'd be fine for lifting, but wanted to double check.
2017 LT50 wide, stihl ms362 & ms660, echo cs7310, Logrite fetching arch, 2000 New Holland LS180, Ford 6.0, kubota L48, kubota KH-70, Ford F800 8.3

doc henderson

I have a set I use with the boom with my skid steer.  no issues and they work good.  not sure of the weight, as I cannot lift that much with my boom.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jovol

Ordered the ones from northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company as they're $40 cheaper. Their site says the 36" ones are rated for 3300lbs, but they look to be the same design, same 1" diameter steel construction, and a better swivel eye for attaching.

Wudman

Quote from: jovol on February 08, 2021, 05:15:02 PM
Ordered the ones from northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company as they're $40 cheaper. Their site says the 36" ones are rated for 3300lbs, but they look to be the same design, same 1" diameter steel construction, and a better swivel eye for attaching.
I have a feeling that they will fold up like a wet noodle.  I bought a set of them and hooked them to a 12" red oak about 20 feet long and they just folded.  Hope you have better luck.  
Wudman  
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

barbender

I had a set I bought about 15 years ago, I had them on my skid steer on a boom and I abused the heck out of those things. Never did manage to break them, I lost them in a tangled woodpile this summer, they'll probably resurface in a year or 2😊 Typical of cheap chinese goods, quality all over the place.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!