iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauled 2 loads of rock and 2 loads of gravel.

Started by thecfarm, March 25, 2023, 05:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I call it The Wood Yard.
I haul my wood out tree length, if they are small enough that I can and I push them up into a pile for firewood.
I have a gravel road down to it. I call it a road, it's only about 50 feet behind the house.
This was done over the years of picking up gravel beside the road. I have a couple spots that drains down into the field. I get a lot of gravel from these spots. The road is not even 6 inches deep of gravel. Held up for many years. Last year I rutted up a spot about 20 feet long. This year I rutted another spot up. I pulled up to the stone wall and started to fill the bucket up with rocks, some big some small. Did that 2 times, still need a lot more.
Had to go through some snow to get to the wall.
Then a spot in the driveway was rutted up a little, just a few inches deep, but I don't like that. I live on a dirt road and every year the snow plows leaves a ridge of dirt, maybe 6 inches high. I mow beside the road, so it's kinda hard to mow a 6 inch high ridge of gravel. This I pick up too. I have put some of this into the woods road too. But 2 buckets went into the driveway. I usually back drag it, than shovel it into the bucket.
Same will going over the rocks that I hauled into the woods road. The spot that I fixed last year held up good. Next year there will be no mud down there in the road.
The rock hauling has begun!!!
As my FIL would say, I could find something better to do than digging and hauling rocks.  ::)
Maybe if he owned more than 250 square feet he just might understand why I do it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

You and your rocks Ray, you and your rocks.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I think this may bordering on a mental disorder. OBD, Obsessive Boulder Disorder😁
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I bet I hauled off 100 rocks from the field. Try mowing around them and see how much longer it takes.  ;D
Then one stone wall got hauled off too. I spent more than 40 years of trimming and mowing around that DanG wall.
Well really 3 got hauled off.
Need something bigger for the 4 foot rocks.  ;)
We mow the fields kinda like a lawn, but only once every 2 weeks when the grass is growing.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

What's funny is some distant relative of yours years ago hauled those same rocks to that wall!  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

They're the ones making the boulders heave up in Ray's fields😂
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

I believe Rockaholics Anonymous meets in Jay on Sunday evening Ray.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Can't make it. 
Too busy hauling rocks!!!!!
I kinda wish my relatives would of hauled them up into the bog as I did.   :D  
One "stone wall" was built dump cart style. Just dump the rocks and drive forward. Sometimes they could not wait for the rocks to dump out. Just drive forward quick and make the "wall" 6 feet wide.  ;D Must of been a quick horse on take off!!!!

GAB

Quote from: barbender on March 26, 2023, 01:15:52 AM
I think this may bordering on a mental disorder. OBD, Obsessive Boulder Disorder😁
@dochenderson:
Could you write Ray a prescription for jelly beans or Hershey kisses for his disorder.  A little sugar goes a long ways.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SwampDonkey

Mines all 8-12" down, pull a few up every time the ground is worked. :D But same deal on rock piles, just go along all the fields and see all the 4-8" deep piles. My great grandfather built a stone bridge across a gully with some of them and then all the 10-12" wide walls dad moved off fields. Some are roads, some are under buildings, some line creek banks, some fill swamps. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hedgerow

One the farms we own CRP and no till farming has been the best thing for that farm. Back when we worked ground you went out with a hay rack to pickup rocks after a trip across the field with the disc. 

SwampDonkey

Everyone plows this ground around here. And farmers know organic matter is being depleted. It's been managed to some degree with crop rotation and supplementation, not much has changed in tilling method. Lack of support to try other things. Most farmers these days haul in semi loads of soil supplement like rotten chicken manure and carbon. Some crops are not compatible. Can't grow peas on potato ground, Rhizoctonia infects it and then it's in the soil to infect taters. Haven't been peas grown here for rotation in almost 40 years.

Article from 'Top Crop Manager'

"New Brunswick soils are typically rocky, shallow, prone to erosion, and have low and diminishing levels of organic matter, which is important for holding the soil together and providing essential plant nutrients. In comparison to other farmland worldwide, New Brunswick has some of the most challenging soil for farming.
Potato farming requires deep tillage that breaks soil structure and accelerates organic matter decomposition."
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!