iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a Grizzly G1023RLWX

Started by 21incher, September 02, 2016, 01:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Last sunday I ordered a saw from Grizzly Tools. They shipped it monday and it came yesterday. I can not believe how fast it made it halfway across the country. Going to take 10 days to get the 2 lb blade ordered elsewhere. Assembly was simple and I just have to do some final adjustments and Upgrade my wiring. I can't wait to see how a 5hp motor cuts after years of using a 1 1/2 hp contractors saw that would blow the thermal overload every time I cut over 2 1/2 inches. My wife is lining up the projects all ready.

It all starts with a sawmill and then all of a sudden all those homeowner tools  you bought years ago are to small ;D

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hackberry jake

I've been wanting to do that very thing. I really need a 5hp saw. I've been trying to keep my eye out for a used one, but always a day late or a dollar short. Sweet saw!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Glenn1

That saw is a beauty.  My 30 year old Grizzly has the power switch on the right which was not planned out well.  I really like the new design.  Enjoy and be careful.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

caveman

That is a good looking saw.  I am certain it will be a lot more enjoyable to use than your other saw.  You are right about the slippery slope that one begins sliding down following the purchase of a mill (shed, kiln, planer, jointer, tractor, mill tools, benches, moisture meter, etc.).  I also like the big off switch that can be bumped by the knee.
Caveman

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

21incher

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 02, 2016, 04:39:35 PM
I've been wanting to do that very thing. I really need a 5hp saw. I've been trying to keep my eye out for a used one, but always a day late or a dollar short. Sweet saw!
I have been watching craigslist for a year and everything I saw was either old and beat up, or overpriced. Got a 10% off email from Grizzly last week and went for it. It seems to be a well made saw for the price. The quality of the cast top is amazing.

Quote from: Glenn1 on September 02, 2016, 04:56:01 PM
That saw is a beauty.  My 30 year old Grizzly has the power switch on the right which was not planned out well.  I really like the new design.  Enjoy and be careful.
Thanks. Being left handed the switch is in the perfect place for me. I think this saw will outlast me.

Quote from: caveman on September 02, 2016, 06:27:53 PM
That is a good looking saw.  I am certain it will be a lot more enjoyable to use than your other saw.  You are right about the slippery slope that one begins sliding down following the purchase of a mill (shed, kiln, planer, jointer, tractor, mill tools, benches, moisture meter, etc.).  I also like the big off switch that can be bumped by the knee.

The old saw was great for working with 3/4" stock from HD, but just could not make many cuts in thicker stock, plus I never used the blade guard because it did not work to good. It looks like this saw has a well designed guard that will allow me to use it all the time and be a little safer. That list keeps growing.

Quote from: DDW_OR on September 02, 2016, 07:21:08 PM
only addition i can think of is a blade stop
http://www.sawstop.com/why-sawstop/the-technology/

That is great technology if you have the extra money.  I think you have to buy the whole saw from them and cannot add it to a different brand.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hackberry jake

I looked at the 5hp sawstop... Way too much $$$. I guess they don't have any trouble selling though. You could almost buy three 5hp grizzly saws for the price of one sawstop. I could understand that if sawstop was American made, but both saws are made in Taiwan. If I'm going to pay over $4K on a table saw, it'll be an older restored Oliver with a sliding table and two 16 blades/motors.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dakota

That receiver for a router is a good idea.  Instant shaper.  Really nice saw.
Dave Rinker

21incher

Quote from: Dakota on September 03, 2016, 10:28:57 AM
That receiver for a router is a good idea.  Instant shaper.  Really nice saw.

It is nice that you can use the same fence for the router also, and it only added a couple of dollars to the saw cost.

Got some power to it today and it is a very smooth running saw that is much quieter then my old contractors saw. Ripped some 2 " hard maple and it never slowed down using the 40 tooth blade it came with. I thought the built in blade shroud and internal hose would help with sawdust collection, but it still throws a lot out the top. I guess I will add a hose to the blade guard to catch the top dust.   :)

hackberry jake

How high do you run your teeth above your material? That can have a big impact on how much dust it throws at you.

21incher

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 03, 2016, 04:26:05 PM
How high do you run your teeth above your material? That can have a big impact on how much dust it throws at you.

I run it about 1/8" above the wood.  I have never used a safety guard before and it always went into the air with my last saw so I probably never noticed it. There is a plate on top of the plastic shield that looks like it can be removed to allow a dust hose to be hooked up so I am going to make a adapter and hang a hose from the ceiling to see If I can catch the fine dust escaping from the top. The bottom setup seems to keep the cabinet real clean :)

DDW_OR

are you planning to build a cabinet/table around your new toy?
that is what i am planning to do to my delta 36-650
"let the machines do the work"

21incher

Quote from: DDW_OR on September 04, 2016, 05:01:14 PM

I am thinking about building a roller assembly that folds down out of the way when not needed. Something like Grizzly sells for this saw. I figure with rollers I will not be tempted to pile stuff on them as I do with flat surfaces. :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: 21incher on September 04, 2016, 06:42:44 PM
Quote from: DDW_OR on September 04, 2016, 05:01:14 PM

I am thinking about building a roller assembly that folds down out of the way when not needed. Something like Grizzly sells for this saw. I figure with rollers I will not be tempted to pile stuff on them as I do with flat surfaces. :)

The one that Grizzly has works great.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

lowpolyjoe

Great looking saw and outfeed rollers.   I tried to have my workbench double as an outfeed table but over time I realized the bench was too low for my hand tool work and eventually raised it.  Now I need a new solutions for outfeed support 

5hp must be great.

Congrats! Be safe  8)

21incher

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 10, 2016, 03:34:42 AM
The one that Grizzly has works great.

The grizzly one is nice, but it would be nice if there were no rollers in the area of the miter gauge slots so It could be leveled  with the top. I am looking at some bearings that work with conduit to allow me to make custom width rollers to fix that issue.

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on September 10, 2016, 11:09:00 AM
Great looking saw and outfeed rollers.   I tried to have my workbench double as an outfeed table but over time I realized the bench was too low for my hand tool work and eventually raised it.  Now I need a new solutions for outfeed support 

5hp must be great.

Congrats! Be safe  8)

Thanks. Moving up from 1 1/2 hp  makes a big difference. That is my problem also, cutting  2 1/2" slabs requires a good heavy duty support to hold the weight as it comes off the saw. I am heading towards rollers right now. I have to build a good jig to allow me to straighten a 8 ft board first.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!