iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I wanted to be like you guys

Started by mmartone, May 08, 2013, 08:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

No pics but I was sawing a little pine log the other day I had put up on some 2x4's so I could cut down to 1" making 1x6's. The older mills only cut to 2"'s so a little lift kit is needed to make the last cut 1". I had just put on a new blade and ran it over the edge of the backstop, just enough to foul up that new blade... I hate when that happens!
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Chuck White

If you run an LT40, you should be able to saw down to within one inch from the deck.

If you're not able to do it, your mill most likely needs a realignment!

I have ran my FIL's mill and my own and both will cut down to 1" with no blocking necessary!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

The early WoodMizers don't saw to 1". Not sure when that changed, but definitely by the early '90's.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

mmartone, what year is your LT40?

Never knew that the early models wouldn't go down to saw 1"!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

I finally learned to switch to an old blade before sawing into a clamp or log stop.  Save the new ones for nails & fence wire.  First time reading your post, I thought you were milling 2x4s down to 1x6 & was going to suggest that you were going to be using a lot of glue!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ocklawahaboy

My '86 LT 40 only goes down to 2".  It will only do that if you are working on a cant.  If you are making live edge slabs, you can't clam to saw that low.  If your cant isn't perfectly squared off sometimes you can't saw that low.  No matter what, there is no cutting lower than 2".

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

drobertson

Not sure where the hold up is on some of these older models, sure wish there were available diagrams availble where some more valubale solutions could be suggested,  Only guessing but it sounds like some of these older one might just need a longer chain that operates the up and down, along with any original stops that were designed in the the mill. I think most anything can be modified, the only issue would be dealing with the electronic design, on manual mills there just seems there has to be a way of getting around this stop depth,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ocklawahaboy

I don't usually mind the thick piece.  I almost always can use either a 2" slab or some 2x2s so it all gets used.  I'm sure if I saw more for customers, I'll run into someone who is miffed by that but it doesn't bother me sawing for myself.

Fla._Deadheader

Why not add some height to the bunks ?? Channel or box tube would be fine. Just tack weld tabs on each side and 1 through bolt. Then, you could remove if needed ?
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

mmartone

At 2" the saw assembly touches the bed. The only thing is you can raise the bed some but you lose height.

5quarter

Fla. Deadheader...that's a really good idea.  8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

red oaks lumber

i think if there was a way to modify, w.m. would have offered one. maybe :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

petefrom bearswamp

"at 2" the saw touches the bed.
Cant you just adjust the scale?
Perhaps i am stupid in this question.
does this just leave a 2" piece?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

"I wanted to be like you guys".

Be careful what you wish for......it just might come true.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SAnVA

My 87 LT 40 won't even make it down to 2 in.  I made a set of 2" blocks to set on two rails when making the last few cuts, takes a little more time but thats the way we've always had to do it!

Andy White

mmartone   Running a new blade over your dogs and stops isn,t all it,s CUT out to be!!!   Dont ask me how I know this.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

swampbuggy

When cutting I try to use the magic man method of boxing the heart of the log so I leave the last cut at 1 1/2 or larger to box the pith. I can always use 2x6's and I have a better board to use. Plus I don't get close to the dogs. My mill will go down to 1", but I don't always need to. Dan
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Thank You Sponsors!