iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill questions

Started by CustomWood, July 15, 2016, 11:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CustomWood

Planning a sawmill but wanting to know how big of a motor to run... thinkin of a swing mill. I want to be able to cut approx 12-13" if possible and gonna use a gas motor. How many horse would I need and is that big of a blade gonna be expensive? What are some brands of blades and where to look?

paul case

There are some prices at Turbosaw's website. Just click on their logo in the column to the left of your screen.
Expensive and cheap is pretty subjective.
Bandsaw blades to fit my LT 40 can cost as little as $14. That's pretty cheap compared to a new 48'' circle saw blade with replaceable teeth. Power requirements are dictated by the size and shape of your blade and the speed you desire to cut.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

scrout

The Brand X uses 16-20hp for a 10 inch
Petersen 22-35 for a 10 inch
D&L 30hp for a 10 inch
Lucas does not say, but probably at least 25 hp for their 10 inch

Mobile Dimensions older models are 65hp, but have 2-3 blades they are spinning.

General consensus us usually "the more the better" pending if you are portable, etc.
I have been collecting parts for years for a swinger, please post up your build when you do!

Others designs:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=60033.0

Ianab

I think Turbosaw's 12" cut diesel is about as big as Swing mills go currently. That's running a 62hp Kubota engine, but isn't a cheap setup.

But you loose a couple of the swing blades big advantages, which us the super portability, and the relatively cheap cost (for the production they can do)

If you just want the ability to cut the occasional wider board or beam, check out how easy the mill can "double cut". This means cutting from both sides of the log to make a board 2x the cut depth, So my little 6" cut mill can easily cut a 12x6 beam, or make 12x1 boards, even it's it's only one per layer of cutting. The 8 -10" cut mills are generally in the 20-30 hp range, which seems to relate to how much power you can actually push through one small circle blade.

There is also the option of a chainsaw slabber which lets you cut up to ~5 foot wide.

Blades are not cheap, but a couple are included with the mill, as is the sharpener. You resharpen the blade on the mill (there are only 4 to 8 cutters) and they can be retipped when they wear out or you hit metal. So they generally last for years before they need replacement. Blade cost (per bd/ ft sawn) is much less than a band saw, even if you factor in eventually having to buy a new blade.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!