iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain loops

Started by three feathers, August 03, 2014, 08:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

three feathers

Has any used the Woodland Pro chains. If so what did you think of them.

Thanks,
                                                  Jerry
Jerry

JohnG28

I have some of them and have liked them. I liked the standard 3/8" ones better than the. 325 ones I have. They seem to hold up and hold an edge well to me.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

John Mc

I found it was decent chain, but occasionally ran into a cutter or depth gauge that was so hard I could not touch it with a file (ruined a couple of files trying).  I tied about 5 loops of it. 3 were fine, two had a couple of hard teeth or depth guages.  You might never notice if you use a grinder to sharpen, but it was a pain in the neck for me. 

I gave up using it. It seemed fine otherwise. I may try again some time. I could have just run into a bad batch.

I suspect the hard teeth were due to a heat treating problem. One concern I had is that if steel is that much harder than the normal spec, it's probably brittle.  I only had one tooth break, and it took a solid hit on an embedded rock - no idea if it was one of the hard teeth or not.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jdonovan

running them both in 3/8 and 325 on several saws. They seem to cut well, sharpen up fine. Never found a problem with a hard tooth. Price point seems good.

CTYank

I run a bunch of their chains in 3/8" full ht and lp, all .050" gauge. No complaints. Like it so much that I got a 100' reel of semi-chisel. Great price, too.

I've not run into any noticeable hardness variation yet. I'd notice, since I sharpen only with guided file.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

SawTroll

At least it used to be Carlton, but I am not sure if that is the case.

Carlton chain is not as nice as Oregon or Stihl - cruder and without a low-vibe chassis.
Information collector.

John Mc

You guys may tempt me to give Woodland Pro another try.  Maybe I just got a bad batch. It was probably around 5 to 8 years ago that I tried it.

I had heard at one point that Woodland Pro, Carlton, and Total were all the same thing, just different names on the package. Is that the case?  I don't see Total chains around at all anymore.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

I had the same hardness quality control problem of the Carlton / WoodLand Pro chain years back like JohnMc, but I'm sure the problem has been rectified since .

Perfect match chain for the high quality Carlton File-O-Plate filing gauge.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on August 06, 2014, 07:25:57 AM

I had heard at one point that Woodland Pro, Carlton, and Total were all the same thing, just different names on the package. Is that the case?  I don't see Total chains around at all anymore.

Yes, but I don't know if it still is that way.

GB Chain also was - but that no longer is the case.
Information collector.

JohnG28

The last WoodlandPro chain I bought had A1 stamped on the dl,  which I believe was a Carlton designation, right? Standard 3/8, .050.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

I have several 20" loops of 3/8" chisel I bought when a previous FF sponser was selling it for 10 bucks a loop .About 2-3 dollars less than Oregon at the time .I myself wasn't praticulary fond of it .

Thank You Sponsors!