iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skiptooth chain loops

Started by ed in idaho, October 16, 2014, 07:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed in idaho

looking for skiptooth chain loops for echo cs590 with 20" bar. seems like i read the chain is less then 72 links ? anybody know  if they are available.

Ed

HolmenTree

Quote from: ed in idaho on October 16, 2014, 07:32:50 PM
looking for skiptooth chain loops for echo cs590 with 20" bar. seems like i read the chain is less then 72 links ? anybody know  if they are available.

Ed
Ed, no advantage running a skiptooth chain on a 20". Your not going to save anytime keeping it sharp. With a skip tooth chain the fewer cutting edges take on more abrasive dulling and you'll be doing more sharpening.
From timbersports speed applications the regular comp chain cuts faster then the skip  so your not going to increase any speed either.
Now if your felling 36" and over diameter softwood a skip chain will fill it's purpose with  28" and over bar length. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sawguy21

You likely need 70 driver chain, few outlets carry that length in pre made loops. It is not popular enough.
I agree with HolmenTree, you will also find the skip tooth will not be as smooth in smaller wood and will tend to grab while limbing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

webgal

Indeed, there are no advantages going skip on a 20" bar unless your saw is underpowered for that length. The CS 590 isn't.

The drive link count would be 70 for the Echos rather than the Husky/Stihl group of 72. Finding a pre-made loop of skiptooth in that length will be trickier, but folks could always spin you a loop.

Why did you want to do skip?
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

Ed

I'll run full skip on my 254xp and 18" bar when cutting fresh Cottonwood or a few other species of wet softwoods.

Makes a heck of a difference in the cutting speed as the skip gives room to carry the chips out instead of packing them between the teeth.

Ed

luvmexfood

Ed. When I bought my 590 I got an extra chain. It was made off a spool and when I started out the door the guy told me that he had made a skiptoothed chain for me to try. It's 20 inch but I haven't tried it yet.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

webgal

I did say no advantage, but fellas used to come in for a loop of skip on a shorter bar as they hated filing.  smiley_goofy_face smiley_goofy_face. The word on the street to have good results in dirty conditions is a semi-chisel chain.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

luvmexfood

Webgal. Odd that you posted today. I was going to pm you this morning and ask how things were going and how's the spice business? Then the cat and dog had a disagreement that I had to tend to. He is usually pretty good with the cat but he will only take having his wagging tail swatted for so long.

ed in idaho

i wanted the skip tooth for increased speed(rpms) have a friend whos thinning mostly pine and have had good results with the chain in a husky mod.61 with i think a 24 or 5" bar and a cs530 with a 20 " bar.

Ed

HolmenTree

Quote from: ed in idaho on October 17, 2014, 02:14:12 PM
i wanted the skip tooth for increased speed(rpms) have a friend whos thinning mostly pine and have had good results with the chain in a husky mod.61 with i think a 24 or 5" bar and a cs530 with a 20 " bar.

Ed
Ed, I remember an old timer telling me stories when he removed teeth off his circular sawmill blade and the increased speed he received.  I even run full skip chain on my  395XP/36"Alaskan mill and it works great but thats for ripping with the end grain.

With a full skip or even semi skip chain on a 20" bar hazardous kickback energy is going to be raised significantly,  especially cutting in small timber like pine for instance.
For a 62cc and under saw you will gain more cutting speed rpm with a narrow kerf bar and chain like the Woodland Pro 20NK or Oregon's 95VPX. Removing less wood  in the cut means more power. Plus a heck of alot safer.
I have found the skip tooth chain feels more agressive then a equal regular comp, but time the two with a stop watch while bucking a log and you will be surprised the skip will cut slower.

For the NK bars and chains you have to look no further then Bailey's.  They have everything you need.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

webgal

Quote from: luvmexfood on October 17, 2014, 01:14:39 PM
Webgal. Odd that you posted today. I was going to pm you this morning and ask how things were going and how's the spice business? Then the cat and dog had a disagreement that I had to tend to. He is usually pretty good with the cat but he will only take having his wagging tail swatted for so long.

Sent ya a Pm did you get it?

beenthere

With our new system, thanks to Jeff, he got your PM if it isn't still sitting in your "outbox".
You can check on that and if the PM was read, it moves out of your "outbox". (as I understand from Jeff).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ed in idaho

looks like nk is the way to go thanks 8)

Ed

luvmexfood

I put the skip tooth chain on my Echo today. The chain I had on it has been through a few filings and I think it needs the grinder. Filed it but just not hardly right. Anyway, I cut a 16 dbh hickory and a couple of 20 dbh poplars and couldn't tell any difference from non skip tooth chain. First day I got to work due to the rain all week. Edge didn't seem to hold as well but may have been the hickory. Edge didn't hold real well on the other chain but it was hard maple.

Thank You Sponsors!