iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using tree cutting equipment mounted on a skid steer loader

Started by Scoby, May 13, 2014, 10:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scoby

Does anyone us tree cutting equipment mounted on a skid loader? I'm interested in using something like this for cutting brush and trees which would be a little safer than a chain saw.  I'm just looking for ideas and what kind of equipment is out there to use.  Thanks

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

A bit more detail about what you want would help. What size tree, for example?

Something I use on occasion. Turns 90° and reaches pretty high up.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chainsaw

They work ok for flat ground and small light trees.the few times ive seen them work,the operator would get brave and cut,shear,a bigger tree and if he run over even a short stump he would tip over on his side.
Earth first,we`ll log the other planets later

beenthere

Quote from: chainsaw on May 13, 2014, 03:08:09 PM
They work ok for flat ground and small light trees.the few times ive seen them work,the operator would get brave and cut,shear,a bigger tree and if he run over even a short stump he would tip over on his side.

Everything has its limits. 
We don't know what those are for the OP, nor what the job is that needs to be done.

This tool worked well for me, and there were no "tip overs".  And a whole lot less bending over than doing the same task with a chainsaw (no pun intended  ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Scoby

After I look at the posts and photos I can see the limitations on the tool mounted on the skid steer.  I think I'm looking for more of a hyd saw or blade that would rotate and if possible cut bigger elm trees if that is possible. many thanks for the posts

Ianab

They exist and seem to work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzy_qTazWUk

Issues would be tree size vs how big the machine was, the terrain you are working on, and probably most importantly, operator safety. A harvester pretty much has to have an armoured cab, because eventually something is going to fall on it, and the operator is a sitting duck for a spear shaped broken branch coming out of the top of a tree.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

711ac

I have a rotary mower for a SS. It's just a heavy "bush hog" that's powered by a hyd. motor. It has it's limitations on trees, like 2". It depends on how long you want to sit there and beat on it. It really shines on tall brush/ weeds that' not too "woody". I have an older model that does not have the safety equipment (for those with no common sense) that disables the blade when lifted over a few feet of the ground. I'll pick it up high with it tilted back (blades away from me) and lower it on down. If you have DEEP pockets, like $15k & up, a forestry mower, aka "mulcher" is a serious clearing machine but requires a large machine with "high flow" hyd.'s.
If you already have a SS, find a rental guy with a mower, you might have to go to a large dealer as it's not exactly a handyman rental center type of thing.

MesquiteSawyer

I was underbrushing for a customer the other day using a mulcher, and he was telling me about his logger that had cut on him a few years ago.  He said the old boy used a skid steer with a dangle saw and would take down up to 24" diameter trees.  The stumps looked clean, so I would believe they were mechanically cut.  (No hinges or notches)  I was a little nervous on the terrain as some of it was fairly steep, and I cannot imagine grabbing a 24" tree with a skid steer on that slope, or even on flat ground.  If you know what you are doing, I guess it isn't a big deal.

Gary_C

I've seen a number of fixed head saws and/or shears on skid loaders but never a dangle head. Even though a dangle head would seem to be safer from tipping, you have to have the lift arms up high because you have to hold a dangle head at the top for it to work as a dangle head and that makes it more prone to tipping.

With a fixed head cutter on any sized machine other than a big excavator, tip overs are a big problem. Plus none of the fixed heads for skid loaders and many feller bunchers do not have side tilt so they are especially sensitive to sloping ground or leaning trees. Most of the guys that run a skid loader for cutting get used to tipping them back up on their wheels or tracks.

And it's not all about tree diameter, height is a big factor.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!