iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

easiest way to delimb pulpwood?

Started by treefarmer87, March 12, 2010, 11:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

i just got a new tract of land to cut, alot of pulpwood on it. (i hate fooling with the stuff) what is the easiest and quickest way to get the limbs off.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

chucker

chokem up! drive between to close trees that fit your wheel track and pull through then back up!!....
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

HolmenTree

Quote from: chucker on March 12, 2010, 04:01:39 PM
chokem up! drive between to close trees that fit your wheel track and pull through then back up!!....
:D Then the poor cutter has to kick those limbs out of the way after to cut the tree :D
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SwampDonkey

Stroke delimber. Just when I thought I seen the last, I find two more this winter in the area limbing hardwoods. Small hardwood at that, someone is always desperate to go behind. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Stoke delimber, but we also do a lot with chain saws. ;)
~Ron

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D I could almost cut some of this with a brush saw, well maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. :D

Ok, irrelevant. ;)

What I hate about how those stroke delimbers are used here is the huge waste piles all along road sides. Chainsaws is my preferred method to. Of course I wouldn't be cutting unless it paid. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

forest.c

chainsaw here.  Thouse slash piles are chipped here for bio mass swamp donkey i'm not far from you i see.
forest.c

Jamie_C

If you guys can get away with selling pulp that is delimbed by backing them through trees then you must have some real lenient specs. The local pulp mills want virtually perfectly delimbed wood and will dock like crazy for anything that has limb stubs on it or will reject the load.

I personally would use a chainsaw for delimbing but that is just me.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but not everywhere. Very few are biomass from woodlots so far, but they are out there. I seen it done on public and for the first time last year. They always burned them road slash piles and replanted.

I've been down your way, well Smyrna Mills to Brookside restaurant a few times. Like the fish. ;) And we drive up through the hills around your back yard sometimes. It's Oakfield isn't it where the Amish have a little store and some private windmills on them hills.  Some I think broke, but that's the weather for ya. ;) Windmills behind me here on Mars Hill . ;D

As Jamie said they will reject the whole load or load the offending pieces back on using the methods mentioned a few posts up. :D We have spec sheets/bulletins posted by the marketing boards, so if you don't know you'll find out either way. :D

That being said, frozen fir snaps off pretty good and flush with skidder tires and blades. Might have to touch out a bit with a saw though. ;D

tlandrum

www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

chucker

snap off what you can in the woods! then the groundie dont have to stumble over the trash... bump the nubs and saw away... usually have them bucked b4 you can get back with another pull!! lol
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

treefarmer87

the yard i haul too dosent care ive seen people look like they threw the tree limbs n all on the truck i usually back them thru trees. im am constructing a limbing gate for use when i get my skidder in a week or so because my loader is too small to limb with
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Maine372

chainsaw lets you get the limbs off and dice the tops up some so they will lay down and rot. mabey you can negotiate a better price for the cleaner wood?
get yourself all the PPE (hardhat, face sheild or saftey glasses, hearing protection, chaps, steel toe boots) and a good saw. what a good saw is is up for debate. im a husqvarna loyalist. limbing softwood i use a 346 cause its light and nimble and good on gas. in hardwood the limbs are usually both harder and larger. i would use a 357 or 372.

HolmenTree

:D Big skidder with a chain flail mounted on the front  :D
A machine we tried here in the 1970s
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

treefarmer87

a good friend told me to use a chainsaw. i said isnt there a quicker way, he said what the hell are you out there for.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Samuel

Portable chipper...then you don't have to take the limbs off 8)
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

SwampDonkey

One guy told me yesterday he's got a tub grinder from Fredericton doing the tops. Clearing farm land up in Knoxford. The chipper guy in the area doesn't want them for biomass it seems. Probably not enough volume. It's sugar maple mostly I believe. There goes another 25 acres of nice upland forest to potato field. They think bigger is better, while McCain is cutting contracts by 30 %. Not a good year I'm afraid.

Samuel

Hey Swamp...Its really not worth dragging a big chipper in for less than 3-5 days of work given the moving costs etc.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

SwampDonkey

Well the funny part is the chipper guy has been cutting little corners 5-10 acres in size all winter almost next door to this other guy. But I understand economics of it, still 25 all roadside is better than 5 dispersed and still standing. Just grab and shove/feed because it's stroke delimbed along the road. Just looking to chew up the limbs for biomass, not pulp. ;D

critter

Don

Don"t know what kind  of wood you are cutting as for hardwood
     or how you are felling it. If the salvage is yours I would top it three inches
     and pile all the extras for the fire wood market next fall for seaned wood   
    on site or at my yard. Thats bring all large limbs and tops to landing

'

240b

Sub out the job and while they are working you can go look for a better lot to cut for your self.

logger t

8)i use a 450-e with a brush rake and i have a old 540-a i just bought last fall with a logma head welded 2 left side of the blade the the blade has been reforced its plumed into the main pump works really good on softwood  i use it i the woods not on the yard works good 4 my little outfit

loggert

Maine372

loggert, we are gunna need some pics of that limber!

Bobus2003

I have been using the blade on my parked dozer for large limbs.. Makes limbing with the Processor or Chainsaw much easier, plus it compacts the tops down so i can pile up more whole trees in the landing before processing

Thank You Sponsors!