iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any registered dog breeders out there?

Started by Banjo picker, July 12, 2020, 01:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I talked to a breeder that's fairly close to me about a possibility of buying a puppy from her, as she had one of the two breeds I was looking for.  She gave me the price, and then said that she would still retain all breeding rights.  Meaning I couldn't raise a litter of pups or use a male as stud an get them registered with akc.  Is this a standard practice? Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Tom King

We don't give full registration (what you need to sell registered puppies), unless it's to a breeder friend we already know.  Just too much time involved in mentoring new breeders.  No way possible will our kennel name will ever show up in any puppy mill, or backyard breeder pedigree.

With this pandemic, everyone thinks this is a good time to get a puppy.  My Wife gets a minimum of three inquiries, every day, for the 25, or so, puppies we raise each year.  That's well over 1,000 inquiries a year, which has been, normally, about how long our waiting list is.  I have no idea what the timeline is now.

We don't sell a puppy, and keep breeding rights, but we do often trade breedings with stud dogs.

Bruno of NH

Yes Tim I have heard of this before.
I'm not sure if it's standard but know some folks have had to sign papers like that.
I have had dogs all my life and only have had one full blooded dog.
An Irishsetter when I was around 10 years old and she was given to me by the breeder as she was the runt.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tom King

I guess there are about as many ways of doing it as there are breeders.

Raider Bill

Keep it simple, adopt.
Rescue dogs matter.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ljohnsaw

I agree with Raider Bill.  Find a dog to rescue.  Also, I'm a firm believer that a mix breed is an all around better dog.  Less joint/skin/temperament issues.  Toss in a little cattle dog or poodle and you get some good brains, too :)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

My wife used to breed and sell German Shepherd puppies and worked closely with local police departments, many who bought and trained her puppies. I had never heard of anyone reserving breeding rights. I would never buy a puppy with such restrictions but that is just me.

That reminds me many years ago my mom had a miniature dachshund named Snoopy who was Mom's ever present sidekick but Mom went to an Eastern Star convention and left Snoopy at home with Dad for several days. The neighbor kids came over with their female dachshund who was in heat and wanted to breed to Snoopy so Dad agreed with the promise of a puppy for stud fee which they agreed to. Mom was very irate when she got home and found what Dad and Snoopy had done (I think she eventually forgave Snoopy BTW). About 2 months later the kids came over and Mom answered the door and they told her they wanted to talk to Dad so she summoned him. The kids told him "Our dog had a puppy. Its a real pretty puppy but there is only one. You can come get him when you want to." They were obviously very dejected. Dad looked at them then said "No, since there is only one you keep him." The kids left very happy and excited with their good news. Then when Mom learned what Dad had done she set in on him again as she had already made plans for the puppy. Dad said there was no way he could take those kids only puppy. He did always think it was funny the kids insisted on talking to him instead of them just telling Mom. I am pretty sure they figured/hoped he would be more soft-hearted than she would be.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Sounds like your Dad had either a big heart, or liked to get into trouble- or a combination of the two. That's how I see myself, too. My kind of guy!😁
Too many irons in the fire

Banjo picker

I have rescued several dogs in the past.  Got one from the West Memphis Ark pound.  Took one home that hung around our job site and wouldn't leave.  I recon my last was a rescue too, just a stray that came up here and took over our hearts, then moved inside. Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Raider Bill

There are rescues for almost every kind of dog you can think of.
Lady that runs my office is involved in rat terrier rescues. They "ship" their rescues across the country after a through vetting with a year or two probation so that if things don't work no out they can get the dog back.

Only pure breed I ever had was a Yorkie. Ex had to have a Yorkie. Paid big bucks for the runt. Turned out he had come from a mill and had just about everything a dog could have wrong with him. Huge vet bills over the 11 years. Great little guy, felt bad for all the problems and pain he went through.

Seems though when we bought him we had to have him fixed before we got the papers as they did not want us to breed.
We did get him fixed but never wanted to breed so we never picked up the papers.

We took him to his "parents " house a couple years later to find that the family setting we thought we had bought from was a mill with at least 20 mom's in cages and a male that was spitting image of little Rudy dog.

Walnut Beast

There are a couple ways to look at it. If there are breeding restrictions it's a benefit. Let's say you buy a German Shepherd puppy. Let's say for 2k that comes from a long history of titled dogs in Shutzhund as well as the parents. If someone buys a puppy with no restrictions there intent will probably be to make 💰 off of history. When in reality the dog should be titled at various levels and checked over by a vet for everything to be sound before breeding to be legitimate to demand the 💰

Walnut Beast

Our German Shepherd is a expensive race horse running buck wild. In reality he has everything it takes to be a champion but I'm not racing him. The breeder would love to get his hands on him because not every dog has what it takes. In his eyes it's like I bought a expensive race horse that has all the makings of a champion and I'm putting him out to pasture. If I want to breed him without being titled in Schutzund. Then it would be at the discretion of the breeder pertaining he is physically in sound condition with the vet.

WV Sawmiller

Raider,

The lady in your office sounds like a woman after my own heart. I love Rat Terriers and Sampson is my all around knock-about companion. His favorite thing to do is ride in the boat and bark at a catfish. He used to like to ride on my 4 wheeler but that is another story right now...

He has done real well training my wife to spoil him. She used to just like German Shepherds.

Walnut,

My wife used to do Shtzhund training. At her first trial her first shepherd caught the judge looking away on the long down test and would crawl forward. The judge had Becky facing away so she could not give her dog any covert signals. Becky could not understand why we were laughing in the viewing stand. Treble, her dog, would catch the judge looking away then belly crawl forward a couple feet then when the judge would look back she would look all innocent like a kid with his hand in the candy jar. She did not get certified on that trial but the judge "pronounced" her as Shtzhund quality so she could have bred her after that and registered the pups as Shtzhund. On the next trial a few months later she won top honors at the event and got her degree. The guy she had bought her from sent her a dozen roses to congratulate her - Treble getting her certification made the sire and dam more valuable to him so they all benefited.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

Cute little guy you got there. That's a awesome little story you had there👍. I'm pretty fond of all dogs. Mans best friend 😊

WV Sawmiller

Walnut,

Terriers have a reputation for fierce fighters who will attack creatures way outside their weight class. Sampson did not inherit those genes and is scared of almost everything out there. ::) He is vicious barking at a catfish in the boat till it slaps him in the face then Sampson becomes an immediate bow ornament as far forward on the boat as he can get. :D He has helped me trail up bow shot deer and such.

While vacationing in South Africa our guide told us Jack Russel Terriers were one of the most popular breeds in southern Africa because they are very good at finding and killing snakes and they have some very nasty snakes there. He also told us many professional hunters will keep a pack of them as leopard dogs to track down and hold wounded leopards at bay if their client does not make a clean kill. The PH's with a pack of hounds will find and bay the leopard but very often they lose a hound or two to the leopard while the yippy little JRTs are quick enough to avoid the leopard's claws till the PH can come finish him off.
Howard Green

Walnut Beast

Interesting about your cute little guy. Your exactly right about them tracking in Africa. I've had people tell me if you draw blood on a animal there they will find it most of the time

Jeff

Well, in sort of a topical post, im sitting here with this guy. We have a 7am dropoff appointment at the vet for him to say goodbye to two  of his closest friends. He was a year old yesterday.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sedgehammer

I personally think it's BS that full registration doesn't come with any dog one buys that's a purebred. They sold it. End of story.
My second oldest son's wife bought a purebred doby for my son (his died of cancer). Paid 2k. Had to sign an agreement that they had to attend at least 5 shows a year and they couldn't sell him. If for whatever reason they couldn't keep him or didn't want him, she got him back for free. My boy is still married, but that kind of agreement is almost worth a divorce.
As far as rescue dogs go. I'll only get a pup and usually those cannot be found on a breed one wants. 
Friend of ours spent 8k on their dog a while back. Just a nice dog, not a stud champion. Not in this house. I like dogs, but they are dogs. They ain't my kid no matter how much thick think they are.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Magicman

Sometime it's a status symbol.  What they paid is more important than what they got.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on July 13, 2020, 08:39:29 AM
Sometime it's a status symbol.  What they paid is more important than what they got.

I agree with that. Neighbor paid $5K for a Frenchie. Brags more about what he paid than about the dog which escapes twice a week and comes over to my house. Guess She like my food better.

K-Guy

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 12, 2020, 02:35:27 PMAlso, I'm a firm believer that a mix breed is an all around better dog.  Less joint/skin/temperament issues. 

X2 for me also. smiley_thumbsup 
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Texas Ranger

Dogs know dog people, and gravitate to them.  Neighbor had a couple of dogs that at first would not come to me, over a couple of weeks they would come out and greet me on my walks.  Neighbor in the yard one day told me they don't like people, as both of them getting their ears scratched.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

nativewolf

Quote from: Banjo picker on July 12, 2020, 01:49:01 PM
I talked to a breeder that's fairly close to me about a possibility of buying a puppy from her, as she had one of the two breeds I was looking for.  She gave me the price, and then said that she would still retain all breeding rights.  Meaning I couldn't raise a litter of pups or use a male as stud an get them registered with akc.  Is this a standard practice? Tim
Might I suggest taking a look through petfinder?
Celebrating Over 20 Years of Pet Adoption | Petfinder   
They are a clearinghouse for almost all the humane society type rescue operations.  Funded by pet food companies, like Mars and others.  Anyway, a great site and you can search by breed and geography.  Perhaps there is a dog of the breed you want somewhere within a days drive?  This is how we came to adopt our latest rescue dog.

Liking Walnut

Sedgehammer

We wanted an american shepard to play fetch and related with the kids. Plus they look cool. Had a blue meral female stolen. Found a toy, which we didn't really want, but wife liked as it could be a house dog. Great dog (for some reason has attached herself to me), doesn't play fetch...... ???
Once I get me entance gate doen and the rest of the fencing, will get an outside dog that can be in the yard. That dog will be the type that plays fetch and hoepfully can catch a frisby and like the water. Also thinkin of a new newfoundland for the water aspect. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Walnut Beast

Quote from: K-Guy on July 13, 2020, 10:48:20 AM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 12, 2020, 02:35:27 PMAlso, I'm a firm believer that a mix breed is an all around better dog.  Less joint/skin/temperament issues.

X2 for me also. smiley_thumbsup
I'll disagree with that! Most problems in dogs are created by people breeding them foolishly! As for temperament. If mixed breeds have such a superior temperament why wouldn't the military just go to the pound and just randomly pick out some mixed breeds for various service work. I love all dogs mixed or specific. I think adopting and getting rescue dogs are fantastic👍👍👍. 

Thank You Sponsors!