iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bad time indeed

Started by _INDY_, February 05, 2006, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_INDY_

after not running my saw since summer a friend called and asked if i could come cut some trees for him, ok brought all my stuff over filled up the tanks in the 372, felled  and limbed about 3 trees and then pffffffffffft nothign no compression at all, took the saw apart and it broke the ring on the exhaust side of the piston, now before i ask why this happened did i have the piston in wrong or somthing? the gap in the ring was on the intake side and i have run 10Gal+ through this saw during the last of the summer months, or is it even easier then that? perhaps there wasn't enough oil in the mix....i just bought the gas that day to do this and sadly i can't remember the mix , it looks like when the piston was on it's up stroke it caught the edge of the exhaust port and blammo!!!!!!11111, i have a new (ring and piston) and a used cylinder that i have to get honed before i put it in i'm just trying to figure out why that happened, i seem to come back to to low on the oil in the gas like WAY too little the saw is a 372 husky any ideas would be great

thanks
Marcus

Rocky_J

I also had a 372 eat a ring exactly as you describe. I didn't fix it myself though. I'd look closely at the bevel of the exhaust port, there might have been just enough of an imperfection to catch the ring.

dozerdan

Hi
I have seen a many of the high mileage 372s do the very same thing. It seems that the ring groove on the exhaust side of the piston wears and it lets the ring fit sloppy in that area. It will let the ring flex and eventually it will break in half and you have witnessed the damage that it can do.
Yes the end gap of the ring is supposed to face the intake side.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Thank You Sponsors!